• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

1 hour ago, WNash said:

Obviously we get thundersnow on rare occasions in the northern third of the metro, but the lake influence promotes stability and minimizes convection from late winter until late summer, diminishing the temperature gradients that allow charge to build up (I hope I am explaining lightning correctly). The radar image of a convective complex collapsing as it reaches Buffalo is familiar to all of us. We get occasionally spring and summer thunderstorms, but a fraction of the number of storms outside of the lake plain. I’m looking forward to seeing the lightning data from the Tempest — I’m thinking the number of thunderstorms will jump dramatically in August and September, dropping back to near zero by mid February. 

In any case, I felt pretty comfortable procrastinating the work needed to ground the mast until the first part of the summer, but after last night, maybe not. I’m going to get the ground wire connected this week and sink the rod when the soil lets me.

We had some fantastic thunderstorms over our last summer. One of which provided 1-2 hours of lighting and thunder as it came over our area. Still have to put that video together.

4 hours ago, WNash said:

Obviously we get thundersnow on rare occasions in the northern third of the metro, but the lake influence promotes stability and minimizes convection from late winter until late summer, diminishing the temperature gradients that allow charge to build up (I hope I am explaining lightning correctly). The radar image of a convective complex collapsing as it reaches Buffalo is familiar to all of us. We get occasionally spring and summer thunderstorms, but a fraction of the number of storms outside of the lake plain. I’m looking forward to seeing the lightning data from the Tempest — I’m thinking the number of thunderstorms will jump dramatically in August and September, dropping back to near zero by mid February. 

In any case, I felt pretty comfortable procrastinating the work needed to ground the mast until the first part of the summer, but after last night, maybe not. I’m going to get the ground wire connected this week and sink the rod when the soil lets me.

I agree with this.  My point was that from a safety standpoint, I wouldnt count out lightning during any month of the year as I've personally experienced it year round at some point or another over the last few decades.  That said, what are the odds of this actually being a concern, insanely miniscule.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Syracuse had more snow by dec 2nd last year then we have a  month later this year lol And last year sucked..

Ha! Yup! It's been painful for snow lovers...especially hardcore ones like myself.

Not looking very promising either. I think we're going into a pattern now, of instead of a ridge pushing lows to our north and west, a trough is now going to make them miss us to the south and east. You can see how they'll be rotating around us in the long range. I know people say "don't trust the models that far out", but what we're going into is a common pattern for suppression.

Perhaps we'll get some flukes in there that can somehow break through. I really wish we could have some adjustments into a clipper pattern.

28 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Syracuse had more snow by dec 2nd last year then we have a  month later this year lol And last year sucked..

Screenshot_20210102-193552.png

We had that big area wide snowstorm in Mid. Nov. I believe everyone got from 12-18" at all reporting stations. We had a bigger one this year just farther SE by 100 miles.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TugHillMatt said:

We just continue to have horrible timing/luck. Tomorrow is looking more lame with each run. Now, it's light rain to a bit of snow and then back to light rain.

At this rate, Syracuse could very well beat the record of least snowy winter (50.6 inches in 11-12). We are at 14 inches to date.

Thats not the least snowiest, its 32.6" in 1936 or something like that. Either way, I think we can do it, why not as it just refuses to snow anymore!