Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Christmas Eve/Day Annual Scrooger Event

Baroclinic Zone

6 minutes ago, Arnold214 said:

Wondering if the 18z HRRR has the right idea with gust speeds and general location of highest gusts. Seems reasonable for the most part.

hrrr_wind.gif

I think this looks close to about what may unfold...is this accounting for convective elements? If there are to be 65+ gusts it’d be if the squall line rolled through. 

Course there's the other school of gratifying Schandenfreude when/where there's pan-dimensional grid failure on the one morning of the year where the spirituality of the thing really needs to have it's electricity too, and -

oh, wait, there's a word for that, 'GRINCH' ... lol 

7 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

This has to be the Grinchiest of all Grinches.  
2020.  Go fuk yerself 

Yeah this is one of the worst ones I’ve seen. 1996 was pretty bad though. We had like 8-10” of high content pack leftover from the Dec 6-8 storms wiped out on xmas eve. That one didn’t quite have the winds of this one but I do recall pretty strong winds regardless. 

8 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah this is one of the worst ones I’ve seen. 1996 was pretty bad though. We had like 8-10” of high content pack leftover from the Dec 6-8 storms wiped out on xmas eve. That one didn’t quite have the winds of this one but I do recall pretty strong winds regardless. 

Was there 3” of rain?

2 hours ago, Dr. Dews said:

A high impact wx event and people are upset.  What in the heck happened

How anyone even entertains the idea you aren’t trolling in here blows my mind....yes people are upset. Ski resorts, winter enthusiasts, the layman who likes seeing a white Christmas are all upset. I’m pissed of one of New Hampshires all time snowfalls is going to get washed away 7 days after it happened and every mountain I go to will be an f’ing glacier after whatever’s left refreezes...move to Florida Dr Dews. Go join the southeast forum and you can stroke yourself off to the high dews everyday. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Weenie 1

3 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

yeah I was just checking the 18z HRRR and it had 60-80 J of 3km CAPE...given the shear parameters that certainly may be enough. 

Maybe I'm wrong and there will actually be some convection involved here. I think that's really the only way we materialize higher end winds out of this. Even still looking at bufkit (only looked at CT) it still seems to be struggling to really bring down significant gusts. But I mean if there is convection involved...it's going to be quite ugly. I just didn't see much in the way for convection outside of the insane forcing.

EDIT: actually 12z was a bit better at BDL in terms of mixing

The thing I would be wary of is assuming the modeling (bufkit) is 100% correct in terms of mixing?  Plus in these types of only hint of convective elements would be needed to generate big issues; especially for eastern CT...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dr. Dews said:

A high impact wx event and people are upset.  What in the heck happened

Yeah sorry, but I'd prefer to know I'll be able to see my kids on christmas morning. My bad for inconveniencing you with my post. I hope it doesn't discourage you from continuing to participate here, as the board would greatly miss your contributions.

• Like 2