Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Christmas Eve/Day Annual Scrooger Event

Baroclinic Zone

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

There were 3 cutters. Blue hills gusted between 80-92 or so. I think strongest winds was the first one. I had a birch uproot with 2’ of snow still. One of the top cutters. I was at stop and shop outside doing carriages at the time. There were power flashes, signs ripping apart, and an old lady blew over right in front of me. I won’t forget that. :lol: 

image.jpeg

• Haha 5

There are some similarities with this event and the screamer in 96 that melted 3-4’ of snow in 24 hours. Does anyone recall how strong winds were in that event, and did the strongest winds occur over snowpack or after it had melted?
It was windy the night of storm. Next morning I woke with a terrible hangover and the sun was out

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

yeah I was just checking the 18z HRRR and it had 60-80 J of 3km CAPE...given the shear parameters that certainly may be enough. 

The shear surprised me. Wasn't there event earlier this summer/fall with low CAPE and high shear that surprised? It's escaping me. 

3 minutes ago, PowderBeard said:

The shear surprised me. Wasn't there event earlier this summer/fall with low CAPE and high shear that surprised? It's escaping me. 

There was the serial derecho a few months back. I think there was another event too a bit before that. 

The low CAPE/high shear events are very fickle. It's actually possible for shear to be too strong b/c if shear far outweighs buoyancy the updrafts get sheared apart and you can't generate robust enough updrafts to punch into and utilize the shear. Also, it is so warm aloft I think it will be very difficult to generate any lighting and we certainly won't see updrafts capable of lightning production.

• Like 2

from a friend at Eversource. 

• Eversource will declare an Emergency Event Level 4 at 6 p.m. on Thursday, December 24, meaning we expect 10% - 29% of customer outages, or between 125,000 to 380,000 outages, and 1,500 to 10,000 trouble spots.
  • Restoration for a Level 4 Event can range from 2 to 6 days before most customers are restored.

Already secured over a thousand hotel rooms for crews through the weekend

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BIsound said:

• Eversource will declare an Emergency Event Level 4 at 6 p.m. on Thursday, December 24, meaning we expect 10% - 29% of customer outages, or between 125,000 to 380,000 outages, and 1,500 to 10,000 trouble spots.
  • Restoration for a Level 4 Event can range from 2 to 6 days before most customers are restored.

Just great, Isaias was a 3 and they said 4 the day before 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, BIsound said:

I have doubts how many they actually have lined up .They don’t do it for a cane, yet they’ll do it in Xmas Day? We’ll see