• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
AMZ8990

WRF-ARW now has this... had been all over the place.  Good model and we needed it on board in some fashion or another.  You know, I am not sure this is really trending west as much as the lee side low is backing the flow of the storm.  That is causing the flow to back just enough that the cold catches the precip and then orographic lift does its thing as well.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Carvers Gap said:

WRF-ARW now has this... had been all over the place.  Good model and we needed it on board in some fashion or another.  You know, I am not sure this is really trending west as much as the lee side low is backing the flow of the storm.  That is causing the flow to back just enough that the cold catches the precip and then orographic lift does its thing as well.

You're likely correct. In this case I'm mainly referring to the precip shield. Modeling notoriously under estimates the N and W side of precip fields.  

• Like 1

The models and digital stuff that I take to with me from this point onward are these:  a couple of more runs of the Euro, the RGEM, the ARW, and radar returns.  I just keep it simple with those four.  All we can do at this point is monitor trends.  Most good storms have an uptick in good trends right up to the event as models don't seem to ever catch-up to good storms.  No idea if that happens with this.  Depending on a lee side low is tricky business, but most modeling has it and climatology support that on a strong front like this per MRX. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, John1122 said:

You're likely correct. In this case I'm mainly referring to the precip shield. Modeling notoriously under estimates the N and W side of precip fields.  

LOL, just now saw your comment.  Snowbird's comment was the one that got me to thinking, and I was referring to that.  And yes, very much agree with you and snowbird.  I was just thinking it is not so much an adjustment in track as it is in flow backing...and your comment is spot on as well.  When a slp forms, modeling has trouble with the NW quadrant.  Will be a triumph in modeling if globals and mesoscale models successfully depict a finesse situation like a lee side low.  Modeling has come a long way.

• Like 1

...And when I say "holds serve," I generally mean the storm is still there, trends haven't completely altered the idea of where the storm was depicted during previous runs, the synoptic set-up is still pretty much the same,  and accumulations are generally where they were placed during the previous runs.  Looks like the CMC might have indeed shaved some off the southwest edge near south/middle TN.  Overall, the look is pretty similar on the 0z CMC.

• Like 2

10:45 MRX Updtate...

.DISCUSSION...
Showers have increased dramatically across middle Tennessee ahead
of mid level trough as intense low pressure area over the western
Great Lakes moves into southern Canada and the associated cold
front is now moving into west Tennessee late this evening. A line
of showers and thunderstorms was moving through west Tennessee at
this time.

Strong south to southeast winds from the pressure gradient from
higher pressure over western North Carolina to the lower pressure
west of the eastern mountains was producing wind gusts already
above 60 mph and winds to around 35 to 40 mph have occurred in
isolated spots in the valley. Have sped up timing of the higher
pops slightly with update from southwest to northeast and bumped
lows up a degree or two over southern and central valley.
Temperatures are being held up in many places by the winds and
lows may have already occurred over the northeast half of the
area...or will occur around sunrise when cold front moves through
western sections of the forecast area. Updated forecast sent. Will
update WSW and SPS products shortly.
  • Thanks 1

10:45 MRX Updtate...
.DISCUSSION...Showers have increased dramatically across middle Tennessee aheadof mid level trough as intense low pressure area over the westernGreat Lakes moves into southern Canada and the associated coldfront is now moving into west Tennessee late this evening. A lineof showers and thunderstorms was moving through west Tennessee atthis time.Strong south to southeast winds from the pressure gradient fromhigher pressure over western North Carolina to the lower pressurewest of the eastern mountains was producing wind gusts alreadyabove 60 mph and winds to around 35 to 40 mph have occurred inisolated spots in the valley. Have sped up timing of the higherpops slightly with update from southwest to northeast and bumpedlows up a degree or two over southern and central valley.Temperatures are being held up in many places by the winds andlows may have already occurred over the northeast half of thearea...or will occur around sunrise when cold front moves throughwestern sections of the forecast area. Updated forecast sent. Willupdate WSW and SPS products shortly.

Hmm... "Will update WSW and SPS products shortly"

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic