Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Christmas Eve 2020 Snow Potential

cyclone77

3 hours ago, Kitchener poster said:

These are some good trends, considering that yesterday morning I thought we were dead in the water. 

Out of this sub forum, but I still monitor the Knoxville TN area. For years those posters would dread this setup. Cold chasing rain never seemed to work out in that valley. 

Ironically, Toronto might see a white Christmas while Ottawa and Montreal see a green Christmas!

just love how ugly things got in 18-24 hours of model runs. and also, if the snow total maps are to be believed, high contrast in snow from the northwest metro (Brooklyn Park) compared with much lower amounts in Cottage Grove and Hastings. and it probably wouldn't take much to shift that band 30 miles. good thing I have off work tomorrow. I'll be able to observe here in St. Paul.

3 hours ago, chuckster2012 said:

00z Nam has Cincinnati at 6" ! Gfs has zilch. I'm afraid that GFS will be right..

Can't believe the GFS caved to the Euro and UK. The 06z NAM run has gotten worse.
sn10_acc.us_ov.png

Similar analogs of a cold Christmas with very little to no accumulation include Christmas 1998 and Christmas 1999.

3 hours ago, It's Always Sunny said:

Ratios are going to be insane in MN tomorrow. Easily 20-25:1. Pure fluff.

EDIT: Technically today, lost track of the time ;)

I would have thought that fracturing would cut the ratio nearly in half given the extreme winds. Maybe not? Super excited for this afternoon. Was gonna go skating with the kids on the lake. Now thinking we’ll find something indoors to do. :snowing:

Hoping for a couple inches of lake effect here. There's a nice write up regarding lake effect in the IWX AFD

Lake effect snow will ramp up by Thursday night. NAM forecast soundings out of South Bend and La Porte show about a 6-hour window of an especially favorable omega and DGZ overlap, along with CAPE in excess of 600 j/kg and an Equilibrium Level near 9,000 ft. This begins near 06Z Friday (2AM EST). Strong winds near 25-30 knots through much of the cloud layer will likely shred the snowflake size. Lastly, 0-2km ThetaE lapse rates could be improved when compared to internal case studies of significant LES events. Lake effect snow tapers later Friday as the wind field becomes more westerly. With that stage set, travel through the lake effect snow region will likely be the most hazardous Thursday night/early Friday morning. This is when the snow rates will be heaviest, resulting in poor visibility. Pavement temperatures are expected to be in the 20s during this time as well. The inherited forecast snowfall of 2-5" was nudged upward a touch with 6" totals in Berrien county certainly a possibility. With the wind advisory in place and the "worst" start time of LES not until Thursday night/Friday morning, decided to hold off on any winter headlines.

Also, it astounds me continues to use Winter Wx Advisories for events that should be WSW's. Accumulations up to 9 inches on Christmas warrants a warning.  

MIZ037-043-050-056-064-071-231700- /O.NEW.KGRR.WW.Y.0012.201224T0900Z-201226T0000Z/ Mason-Oceana-Muskegon-Ottawa-Allegan-Van Buren- Including the cities of Ludington, Hart, Muskegon, Grand Haven, Jenison, Holland, and South Haven 359 AM EST Wed Dec 23 2020 ...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 4 AM THURSDAY TO 7 PM EST FRIDAY... * WHAT...Snow showers, heavy at times, expected. Temperatures dropping quickly into the 20s early Thursday morning with wind chills in the single digits. Total snow accumulations of up to 9 inches by Friday evening. * WHERE...Mason, Oceana, Muskegon, Ottawa, Allegan and Van Buren counties. * WHEN...From 4 AM Thursday to 7 PM EST Friday. * IMPACTS...Travel could become very difficult due to icy roads and reduced visibilities. * ADDITIONAL DETAILS...The heaviest lake effect snow bands are expected on Christmas Eve and Christmas morning. Snowfall rates of an inch per hour and whiteouts are possible during this time.

• Like 2