Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December 16 2020 CTP Snowstorm Disco and Obs

pasnownut

44 minutes ago, Voyager said:

I just saw that and was going to post about it. Thing is, it's nice to get a big bomb, but what do you do with all that snow? Where do you put it when shoveling?

I think it was in the Buffalo "South Towns" several years back they got 7' from a single lake event. They were dumping snow in the lake...

2 hours ago, Wmsptwx said:

24 or 25 ish here, lol was pretty crazy to clean up and abandoned cars were all over the place in town and local highways. The LSV can have the next big guy after that clean up, but excited and can’t complain about snow until at least 2027 or so lol.

Awesome! I knew you were in for it there. I told you a couple of days ago to start getting pumped lol. And it’s good since IPT is known for moderate events, not huge crippler events like this. 

6 hours ago, MN Transplant said:

Popping into from the mid-Atlantic board out of pure jealousy.

There is a poster named Jeb who used to live in the DC area.  He was an eccentric sort and would talk about his obsession for snow and going out in it.  Jebwalking in the snow became a common saying on our board and it filtered around.

Thanks for helping me out.  I looked it up on yippy.com.  The Washington Post used "jebwalk" and I have to wonder how many puzzled readers they had that day:

"I went on another epic jebwalk today. It was hot. I had a t-shirt on. It was way too hot for a coat. Snow piles were melting really bad. I was not happy. While everyone around me was in a spring wonderland, I was really sad, because my beloved snow piles were melting furiously. But at the opposite extreme, here at CWG, poster ThinkSpring wrote ..."

voices.washingtonpost.com/...r_opposite_positions_on_sn.html

7 minutes ago, Winter Wizard said:

Anyone down to go golfing today? Jk

I estimate the final total was between 17 and 18 inches just north of State College- unfortunately my ruler is buried underneath somewhere so can't give an exact total. 

A storm for the books for many, hope you guys enjoyed! Well worth the trek back to Happy Valley. 

golf course.jpg

Nice!! The State College webcams look amazing today. 

1 hour ago, Winter Wizard said:

Yup, it's gorgeous out. It's been way too long since central PA has been a jackpot zone for a Nor'easter. If only this could have happened when I was a student...

And the crazy part was State College just missed the band that pretty much could've doubled the amounts that were reported in and around the State College area, which were already big amounts. The 6z and early 12z guidance yesterday right when the storm was beginning had it there. Nothing had that deform band going as far W and NW as it did in the central/north central counties, and at the same time it appeared the coastal low took the somewhat less tucked in track. One thing to give the models credit for though was the amounts. I personally thought the 35-40+ amounts that popped up were probably a bit much given the steady system progression, but apparently not lol. Everything was showing that 2-3' swath for a few days, very reminiscent of Jan 2016 in that regard. 

33 minutes ago, dcfox1 said:

I saw WGAL joe met keep saying it is a Nor'easter but different. Now I see why. Usually North and West Pa. misses out. Not this time. I saw 3 feet of wet snow in the early 90's at my parents cabin in Huntington Co. and no power so I can't imagine in the 40 inch range. Hopefully it was powder. 

Miller B's don't get much love in this region, and especially in the neighboring subforum (Pit/Western PA) for various reasons. That was pretty much what we had here though, a rather weak primary low transferring to a coastal low. Miller B's can produce a big snow swath through PA in the right setup and we had it for this one. A true miller A coastal low tracking from off the SC/NC coast and coming up probably would not have gotten the good stuff back so far into the western half of PA.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, basehore said:

I ended up with around 27, was an awesome storm up here, especially late night I got the end of that band that slammed Binghamton.  The rates were incredible.  

Having issues with with the file size of my photos...

I use irfanview on my pc to resize.