Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 16 2020 CTP Snowstorm Disco and Obs

pasnownut

25 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

We talk about that in here a good bit. Things got way out of whack in respect to historical climatology along the I-95 corridor over the past 10-15 years, and it really spoiled a lot of people, especially younger ones who I believed that they assumed what was happening was "normal". Entitlement. Sort of understandable, but they really needed a bit of a reality check. On the flip side, they had a dreadful year last year, so add that in and they're starving. 

Even here in Lancaster, our climate history suggests double digit snows come about once or twice a decade. I've had double digit snows 8 times in the past 11 years. I appreciated this storm because I know that it's not normal nor should it be expected. 

Meanwhile, I think our climo is a double digit storm ever 2-3 years? We have had one since 2010 (officially this one didn’t get there but it still kind of counts) in March 21st 2018 and that one really was more hours of light snow...not to mention it compacted a lot. 

I know the DC people get pissy and say “don’t you get 40-50 inches a year?” But when that is from 15 1-2 inch events and 10 other trace events it’s more annoying than anything.

9 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Great information Stephen, thank you for sharing the QPF amount in particular. Had the 2" of QPF that was being advertised a few days ago come to fruition, snow and ice amounts would have been close to what was expected.

Glad to provide it!  Do you think I'm just a little detail-oriented (in real life)??

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

Where that band set up and sat last night over those north-central counties got in excess of 2 feet, so a 3+ foot total somewhere isn't out of the realm of possibility. The models having the 20-30+ swath for days ended up being right in the end, just that it ended up being more W than what any model had and then it did arc over to Williamsport.. although the worst of that band was actually north of IPT for awhile and they still got what they did. 

I don't know what happened here. Looking at you guys' totals this morning, my 10.7" is on par with @Itstrainingtime and the Lancaster folks with some of the ones around Harrisburg actually doing slightly better even with the sleet. This was a big bust for me personally, as I was expecting mid teens here and when yesterday mornings models came in at the beginning of the storm I thought 20" was realistic. I think that intense band setting up just to the west of here for awhile got me into a subsidence zone. I never got the 2-4/hr rates. I'm still happy, it's a double digit snowfall in December either way. Roads are still a mess this morning and my back street hasn't been plowed yet. Couldn't imagine folks that ended up with more than twice of what I got. 

I had 4.2" between 3 and 5pm. That's what did it. 

25 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I think that's why I relate well to you. I work in a company of 900 people, and at a banquet last year, received an award for being the most organized person at work. :) 

Congratulations on the award!  It's a blessing and a curse at times.  Just glad to be retired now and no longer needing to "sweat the details".

• Like 1

Nice to see almost everyone near or above double digits.

It was dicey in Lancaster knowing we were definitely going over to sleet, but that period between 3 and 5:30 was easily 2 to 3 inch per hour rates.

Nice to more than double my snowfall total from last year in one storm (still hard to believe).

Looking forward to the next one.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Wmsptwx said:

24 or 25 ish here, lol was pretty crazy to clean up and abandoned cars were all over the place in town and local highways. The LSV can have the next big guy after that clean up, but excited and can’t complain about snow until at least 2027 or so lol.

Uh huh...you do realize that’s about 6 years or so? :D

48 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

This thing kicked it into an even higher gear when it got into NWS BGM territory. Multiple counties with 40"+ reports, including right around NWS Binghamton themselves. Incredible.

I just saw that and was going to post about it. Thing is, it's nice to get a big bomb, but what do you do with all that snow? Where do you put it when shoveling?