Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 16 2020 CTP Snowstorm Disco and Obs

pasnownut

22 minutes ago, Voyager said:

We flipped to sleet when I was walking down to the fire, and now even the sleet has shut off. What level was above freezing? According to my app, everything up to 850mb is 31 or lower.

Slightly higher than 850mb level, about 800-850 mostly. Here's a cross section of the NAM at 0z at it's 0hr initialization. Did the cross section from roughly Huntingdon county to Allentown with Harrisburg in the middle.

nam---conus-00-C-4027-78164051-7545temp.thumb.png.4508b6479d125df572cb9ab71726248d.png

That line for producing this cross section is drawn slightly south of Tamaqua. Doing one from here across to NJ with Tamaqua in the middle didn't have that patch of slightly above freezing air but that broad layer of near 0ºC. Likely was just a enough of a warm tongue to do the trick to get sleet.

21 minutes ago, CarlislePaWx said:

Change back to snow here began about 45 minutes ago.  Still some sleet but more snow now with big flakes.  I cleared off my board again and melted down the sleet.  The sleet measured 1.3" total and the sleet melted down to 0.43" of liquid!  Not far from 3:1 ratio.  So the 4 1/2 hours of sleet would have been 4" of snow had it not changed over.  So total liquid for the storm is now 1.04" which consisted of 5.5" of snow and 1.3" of sleet for a frozen total of 6.8".

Anxious to see if the big surprise it outside tomorrow morning when I get up.  NWS calling for 5 to 9 inches overnight.  Here's hoping.  Big congrats to everyone west of here that have scored big this event!

1.3" of sleet?? Congrats in advance on the white X-mas lol. 

7 minutes ago, Voyager said:

Off to bed soon. Biggest take aways from this night is the change to sleet and the precipitation shutting completely off for the past hour or so, as well as the feeling of talking to myself all night...

Sleet all the way into northern NJ. Story of this storm is how the Euro really had bad thermal temps imo. 

3 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

Slightly higher than 850mb level, about 800-850 mostly. Here's a cross section of the NAM at 0z at it's 0hr initialization. Did the cross section from roughly Huntingdon county to Allentown with Harrisburg in the middle.

nam---conus-00-C-4027-78164051-7545temp.thumb.png.4508b6479d125df572cb9ab71726248d.png

That line for producing this cross section is drawn slightly south of Tamaqua. Doing one from here across to NJ with Tamaqua in the middle didn't have that patch of slightly above freezing air but that broad layer of near 0ºC. Likely was just a enough of a warm tongue to do the trick to get sleet.

Thanks. Amazing how such a shallow area can change the outcome.

Evening y'all! Hope everyone enjoyed the snow. I missed all the action today with my last mid tonight and struggling to sleep for part of the day. I hope the snow can stick around and provide everyone with a white Christmas. I noticed the mix got as far north as the Nam Nest entailed, which sucks, cuz that cut on the totals. But, I'm sure many in here will take the snow that fell after last years debacle. Look forward to gazing through through the thread for pics and living vicariously. Have a great night y'all! 

• Like 1

Heading off for the night.  My midnight observation was moderate to heavy snow was falling following an entire hour with very heavy snow which totaled 1.5" between 11pm and midnight.  This brings the storm total for 12/16 to 8.3".  I'll be back in the morning with the final numbers on both snowfall and liquid equivalent.  Temp down further to 24.8 degrees on fairly light northwesterly winds.  Nite all!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hoar_Frost said:

7.2" from 7:30 to 11:00 PM.  Storm total so far: 16.3".  

Wow that's impressive, are you in State College? That's a pretty big difference from State College to down here in Altoona if so. I'm between 9.5"-10". Just didn't get those rates in that timeframe with the deform banding settling just west and NW of here.