• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Dec 16-17 Storm OBS Thread

2 hours ago, DeltaT13 said:

I heard him call for 4-8 for Rochester many times, with a possible 3-5 of additional lake effect (of which we got zero)  I'm not getting carried with any compliments on this one.  

Yeah. He goes overboard every time. I ended up with less than 2” here on the lake shore. He posted that UKie map showing me getting 12” like 5 times. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

What a great turn of events for everyone upstate

The confluence trended weaker allowing the storm to trend further north as we got closer.

It is amazing how a weak storm can drop over 40 inches of snow.

I was never impressed with the set up. Goes to show! And btw, GFS really crapped the bed on this one. Consistently showed everything much, much further south and west. 
The big city weenies got screwed. Again. 

• Like 2

3.5 to 4 whopping inches here. Some of the lowest in Onondaga county and across western and central New York. Looks like the models that had that little dry pocket pushing down through Oswego county were right...of course. (One of the few places that underperformed.) Even most of Oneida county got more.

Congrats BGM and Southern Tier! Based on temps for next week around 40 for the highest, you guys are guaranteed a White Christmas.

Here in tropical, snow bubble Syracuse, I'm not sure the several inches will survive through next week.

4 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

3.5 to 4 whopping inches here. Some of the lowest in Onondaga county and across western and central New York. Looks like the models that had that little dry pocket pushing down through Oswego county were right...of course. (One of the few places that underperformed.) Even most of Oneida county got more.

Congrats BGM and Southern Tier! Based on temps for next week around 40 for the highest, you guys are guaranteed a White Christmas.

Here in tropical, snow bubble Syracuse, I'm not sure the several inches will survive through next week.

3.5 inches here, too.  Are you still heading to Tennessee for Christmas?  That will be our time for a big one, lol.

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

My wife was in Albany in the early 2000’s for pharmacy school and said 5” crippled them...23 must be putting them into a panic 

I would respectfully disagree.  No disrespect to her, or how the pharmacy college downtown handled their business back then, but 5" certainly doesn't cripple the city.  Its nowhere close to how a town on the Tug Hill experiences snow, but its not NYC, Philly, or DC either.  I was in Albany for college in the late 90's - early 2000's, and coming from New England, I was amazed at how little changed with a decent snowfall here.  I guess it depends on perspective.  Schools might be a little more close-happy today than when I first came to the region,  but that seems to be happening most places for whatever reason.  Either way, great storm with over 2'.  It beat the 24" I had here last December, but that one took almost 2 days to dump.  I'm mostly dug out now, and thankfully not crippled ;)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rochesterdave said:

I was never impressed with the set up. Goes to show! And btw, GFS really crapped the bed on this one. Consistently showed everything much, much further south and west. 

The para gfs did a good job 

gfsp_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_21.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rochesterdave said:

Big city  as in Syracuse or NYC weenies?