• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Dec 16-17 Storm OBS Thread

12 minutes ago, andyhb said:

1809655166_ScreenShot2020-12-17at2_19_29AM.png.00a026e7e41e5d8964e50b0dfd28b41e.png

Oh no biggie just 1.11" QPF in 3 hours with temperatures of 15˚F.

That has to be a record. Very rare you get this kind of qpf in air this cold. Probably one of if not the most incredible synoptic mesoscale bands I ever seen. Rare you get snowfall rates like this in general esp outside of LES bands. Snow ratios are probably ridiculous right now.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

This was sort of well modeled in some respects (thinking slp) but what's going on near BGM is a galactic bust.  Something like this was shown in 850/700 Fgen on some models...but over CPA.  The mid levels were all wrong in placement, too far south by 40-100 miles i think.   Also, the snowfall algorithms are going to be wrong in the other direction south of here, much of PA, and coastal areas. Will be interesting to see how SNE makes out.  The warm nose was only hinted at down there and it ended up jacking down snow totals it seems so far.  NWP snow algos are a general swag but we all go nuts on them.  

I was thinking about this too. This ended up being 100 miles north of where it had been forecast for a solid week

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Hey scott, hope you’re doing well!! Hope you stop around more. 

Thanks Rich! I've been busy with shift work. Lot of evening shifts and now mids (Last one tonight though so pretty stoked!). I'll be stopping in more this winter season. Wife and I taking it conservative with Covid since she's really high risk due to a plethora of heart issues (Is literally a walking miracle). Once we get vaccinated, we're gonna do some serious travel second half of next year. Hopefully this winter can deliver some more memorable events. I'll be checking in more since this is my fav time of year B) 

Hope all is well with you and the family, as well as everyone on the boards. Now, let's get this snow!

• Like 2

The more intense portion of this band seems to be refocusing now by Oneonta and just northwest. So instead of 5-6in/hr near Binghamton it may only be 2-3in/hr now. Lol. I'm shocked a band this intense and with so much frontogenic forcing hasn't produced some thundersnow. Could be because the sfc temps are very cold. Probably would be more likely if temps were in upper 20s or low 30s.

• Like 1