• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dec 16-17 Storm OBS Thread

16 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

Best snowstorm I experienced around BGM / Vestal was Christmas eve 1978. Forecast was a bit of snow then change to rain. Two Football playoff games on TV were more fun we thought. 

Well...heading out to midnight mass with my father, brother and 80 y.o. grandmother who insisted on going, there was probably 10" on ground and we got stuck in rear wheel drive station wagon at end of our street. Turned around and packed it in. Ended up with 18" XMas morning.  Only idea we had was NE wind and the NWS forecast crawler on tv...which was comically  running behind actual accumulations.  The good old days. Before the internet ruined everything. 

That storm changed my life in Rochester. One of my first memories. XMas eve and took my Aunts Dog out on a leash at 9pm in a straight up blizzard. 18”. Although I could swear it was 79. 
I forever associated XMas with snow and came to love both. 

4 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Between 2 and 3 inches here. It's hard to get with all the blowing and drifting. Biggest storm of the season so far....lol....I suppose another 7 hours of this and I could get 4 or 5 inches.

Have fun, BGM posters!

We are going to be <12" for December. Appalling. 

• Sad 1

45 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

Best snowstorm I experienced around BGM / Vestal was Christmas eve 1978. Forecast was a bit of snow then change to rain. Two Football playoff games on TV were more fun we thought. 

Well...heading out to midnight mass with my father, brother and 80 y.o. grandmother who insisted on going, there was probably 10" on ground and we got stuck in rear wheel drive station wagon at end of our street. Turned around and packed it in. Ended up with 18" XMas morning.  Only idea we had was NE wind and the NWS forecast crawler on tv...which was comically  running behind actual accumulations.  The good old days. Before the internet ruined everything. 

That was almost the exact same scenario I experienced from that storm in Little Falls.  Forecast was for something like 3-5 inches of snow changing to rain. Went to Christmas Eve mass at 8 PM it just started snowing. Came out to about an inch on the car.  We went to a friends house, when we left around midnight there had to be close to a foot on the ground.  Streets weren’t plowed so we ended up abandoning the car on Main St. and walking to my house. It snowed hard all night and the next morning there was 18 inches on the ground.  It was 1978 because my sister in law was pregnant with my niece who was born June, 1979. 

edit:  I have to add that as we drove around in my brother’s Oldsmobile station wagon trying to get to someone’s house he slid around a corner and tapped a telephone pole.  He let out a few expletives and right then there was a flash of lightning and a rumble of thunder.  That storm had everything!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, CNY_WX said:

That was almost the exact same scenario I experienced from that storm in Little Falls.  Forecast was for something like 3-5 inches of snow changing to rain. Went to Christmas Eve mass at 8 PM it just started snowing. Came out to about an inch on the car.  We went to a friends house, when we left around midnight there had to be close to a foot on the ground.  Streets weren’t plowed so we ended up abandoning the car on Main St. and walking to my house. It snowed hard all night and the next morning there was 18 inches on the ground.  It was 1978 because my sister in law was pregnant with my niece who was born June, 1979. 

edit:  I have to add that as we drove around in my brother’s Oldsmobile station wagon trying to get to someone’s house he slid around a corner and tapped a telephone pole.  He let out a few expletives and right then there was a flash of lightning and a rumble of thunder.  That storm had everything!

Love it! I remember TS in that storm also. First time i experienced that.   I remember a letter to the editor in the Binghanton Sun-Bully sometime after that storm, recounting another stranded experience on a hill near us that night, Bunn Hill Rd as I remember.  Was a weird experience for them also and many. But a memory of a lifetime. :)

16 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

The way that band is pivoting around Binghamton is just gorgeous. I’m so jealous. Once in a lifetime type thing. Drink it up

Pretty sure something like this happened for the March 2017 storm too. Man that was a fun storm. It was my first winter in Ithaca for college. Now I'm in St Louis and we call a dusting a major win. Miss the snow and glad you guys are cashing in again.

1 hour ago, rochesterdave said:

You’re crazy. I hope you’re also right. Lol

He’s not right about much, but he’s got to be batting around .750 when it comes to LES pattern recognition in the Rochester area. Far better than anyone at KBUF or broadcast mets.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, CNY_WX said:

I left mass at 1230 and we weren’t sure how we were going to get up our hill. Total surprise in Elmira NY.  I thought it would snow on Christmas eve every year after that.  I was 5.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, cleetussnow said:

I left mass at 1230 and we weren’t sure how we were going to get up our hill. Total surprise in Elmira NY.  I thought it would snow on Christmas eve every year after that.  I was 5.

I was actually home from college in Virginia and it was even better to actually see some snow.  I had stayed in SE VA when fam moved back north.  Oh, how I need to move back to Dixie now and GTFO out of this mess....

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, WNash said:

He’s not right about much, but he’s got to be batting around .750 when it comes to LES pattern recognition in the Rochester area. Far better than anyone at KBUF or broadcast mets.

Jeez thanks. I do ok. Didn't I call 2 to 5 several days ago for all of western ny when everyone said a whiff. And the lake should give a bonus 3 to 5 around roc