• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Dec 16-17 obs/nowcast thread

ORH_wxman

Why are the clearing requirements so bizarre? I feel like you should be able to clear whenever as long as you are keeping track of it and doing it in a somewhat consistent manner.

In the interest of accurate weather data, don’t you want what actual fell, no what it’s compacted to after “x” hours because you can’t clear until then.

13 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Why are the clearing requirements so bizarre? I feel like you should be able to clear whenever as long as you are keeping track of it and doing it in a somewhat consistent manner.

In the interest of accurate weather data, don’t you want what actual fell, no what it’s compacted to after “x” hours because you can’t clear until then.

Which makes it incredibly impressive that folks near Binghamton had 40”’of snow depth The morning of a storm that began 14 hours earlier 

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

So this (24.2") will end up being CON's 2nd largest snowstorm on record and the biggest since the blizzard of 1888.

image.png

I’m surprised Concord hasn’t had more 20”+ storms. I think Baltimore has had 9.

Seems like a lot more of these types of storms are on the way in the next several decades.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fozz said:

I’m surprised Concord hasn’t had more 20”+ storms. I think Baltimore has had 9.

Seems like a lot more of these types of storms are on the way in the next several decades.

I always thought the old airport observers used to lowball it a bit. It’s measured by a nearby COOP observer a bit away from the ASOS since the contract airport observers got terminated. Since then we’ve seen some bigger numbers by CON in that list. 

8 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

That guy had to clear at least once. 

Yeah definitely could’ve.  I still go back to all the photos in ski social media of people dropping tape measures into the snow and having 40-42” on the ground in that band in the Greens.  Peru is also at like 2000ft I think?  I mean could’ve had a 44” depth?

I always think if someone cleared but had a 40” depth, they probably would report like 48”.

That COOP has been around for a while so at least he’s likely consistent through his storm data.

1 hour ago, SouthCoastMA said:

Nice little 1/2" whitening this morning. Will be fun bringing the toddler to the Heritage Garden lights tonight. I shall not speak of the upcoming Grinch storm to her..too young, and too innocent. 

Went there last week. Was really awesome. I bet it’s epic in the snow. Day 3 of snow for you. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Like Will or someone said, this was still a pretty high end event with a nice swath of 12+, but that ridiculous mega band just takes the headline and makes a foot seem meh almost.

Screenshot_20201218-165944_Twitter.thumb.jpg.c5b219541b52cc0142123d9b9ee72c17.jpg

Here is the Valentine's Day storm as a comparison.  

Valentines-Day-Storm-2007.png

One primary reason for the radar page change was that it used flash for single radar animation, which is no longer supported by modern browsers effective a few days ago.  I presume the new page is more typical javascript.  

Moreover, the new page is designed to look virtually identical on mobile, which is considered best practices.  And it's fair to assume most users are familiar with how to use the underlying map controls these days.

I have a similar radar page for the CASA network, albeit google maps based, with a composite page as default for situational awareness and the ability to drill down to single radars.  It's pretty tricky to integrate all sorts of product menus, animation controls, zoom, opacity, etc., etc without getting clunky and overwhelming.  I feel most sites for models or radars are definitely too much.  A side panel with a million options is ok for power users but not so much for the masses.  I think Levi has done a really good job with that balance on his page and it would be cool if he could be brought in to help with V2 of the new page.  Or just bring radars into TT and rename it weather.data.gov ;)

• Like 2

19 hours ago, S&P said:

not sure if anyone replied, I never measured before we flipped to rain. i had around 4" (eyeballin) of compacted rain soaked around 6AM, also my area if very exposed so difficult to measure. I have seen reports on the island of 6-7".

Thanks. My mother-in-law on East Main Rd said she got a foot. Slant sticker.:lol:

I know I remarked about how in this band we squeezed everything we could out of the atmosphere. Well as my SOO pointed out through Bosart, the ALB sounding at 12z had a PWAT of 0.43". Just 2 hours before that balloon was launched ALB ticked off 0.36" in one hour. That's nearly squeezing out all the available moisture in the column, in one hour.

• Like 1

Edit: I see I am very late to the party. 

Not sure if this was posted. Ragged is claiming 48” total. Still mind blown. I’ll be up there Monday. Trying to get my friend on ops crew to send me some more photos but he’s not much of a texter...I’ll bug him when we are taking laps together. 

484394AF-CE8D-4787-AC4B-A6E4561756C2.jpeg

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, BombsAway1288 said:

Someone enlighten me, doesn't Peru, MA hold some kind of snow record for MA?

If so, that would pretty strange to have state records for 2 different states but with the same town name. Completely a coincidence of course if true.

Single storm max record.

94CE9EF8-633A-42A9-91CF-F553B7A81B9A.jpeg