Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Dec 16-17 obs/nowcast thread

ORH_wxman

11 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Do you leave the gauge out for snow? I always take it in and just do cores with the snow board. 

I’m leaving it out right now. But there’s roughly a 0% chance my wife will keep an eye on it an make sure it doesn’t overflow if I’m at work. So I’ll probably end up doing cores too.

Just now, OceanStWx said:

I’m leaving it out right now. But there’s roughly a 0% chance my wife will keep an eye on it an make sure it doesn’t overflow if I’m at work. So I’ll probably end up doing cores too.

Yeah most snow is a disaster with the 4" gauge so I always keep it inside... unless it's a quick transition to sleet/rain. 

I can vouch that getting a spouse to keep an eye on a rain gauge... or better yet clear a snow board and do a core.... is not something that will ever happen.

33 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

There's a lot of undercatch with snow and the 4" can and it can stick to the rim in paste events. I've tried using it to catch and measure new snowfall in windy conditions in the past and it fills up at a slant and makes it impossible.

What's the size of those antifreeze HADS weighing gauges like at SLSN3? Are there any sites in the northeast that use snow pillows for w.e.? I know Hermit Lake has a SNOTEL.

20 hours ago, MarkO said:

Can anyone from Aquidneck Island report what they got from snow totals?

not sure if anyone replied, I never measured before we flipped to rain. i had around 4" (eyeballin) of compacted rain soaked around 6AM, also my area if very exposed so difficult to measure. I have seen reports on the island of 6-7".

1 hour ago, CT Rain said:

Yeah most snow is a disaster with the 4" gauge so I always keep it inside... unless it's a quick transition to sleet/rain. 

I can vouch that getting a spouse to keep an eye on a rain gauge... or better yet clear a snow board and do a core.... is not something that will ever happen.

I got the snow board class down pat for her but thats it. I think I am going stop there. She did great this storm though

7 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Lol what guy with advanced dementia thought the new NWS radar page was a good idea. WTF

THIS^

Infuriates me that they though this was an "upgrade". It really couldnt be any worse. Not only are the graphics just horrific to look at and extremely hard to differentiate with the eyes...when i zoom in the page literally takes minutes to load, if at all. The loop either doesn't work or is extremely jittery and slow. And its not like im using some 2002 XP Machine. I have a newer PC with a core i7, 16GB of RAM and solid GPU...and it STILL isn't enough. Sad they killed a good thing, really liked their radar. Glad i have https://www.weathertap.com/radar/home

I'd really like to hear an explanation for this change.

Look at this comparison...

sfdfCapture.thumb.PNG.9558418ae5523023df5e81701e066d2a.PNG1123Capture.PNG.d1f4a3704ae829864324535fd0e7c9dd.PNG

6 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

THIS^

Infuriates me that they though this was an "upgrade". It really couldnt be any worse. Not only are the graphics just horrific to look at and extremely hard to differentiate with the eyes...when i zoom in the page literally takes minutes to load, if at all. The loop either doesn't work or is extremely jittery and slow. And its not like im using some 2002 XP Machine. I have a newer PC with a core i7, 16GB of RAM and solid GPU...and it STILL isn't enough. Sad they killed a good thing, really liked their radar. Glad i have https://www.weathertap.com/radar/home

I'd really like to hear an explanation for this change.

Look at this comparison...

But that's what they're using to run the site. ;)

2 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

He stopped short of giving your a ICAO ID but you’re in there.

Now that I’ve started CoCoRaHS, I’m loathing the 4” gauge. I miss my WFO 8” bucket.

The 4” nearly overflowed with snow twice during this event.

Kinda hard to invert the big tube for a core.  :D
My Stratus lives indoors in the cold season, only let outside to take cores.  Despite the claim of safety, I'm not confident that it would survive a heavy rain followed by freeze.  Two years ago we had a 2"+ downpour while we were in SNJ for Christmas.  When we got back, the 5-gal used for winter precip held an ice-discus that had bowed the bottom nearly an inch without breaking it - returned to normal once emptied and warmed.  If there's much over 11" on the board I'll take the core in 2 steps, usually by carefully sliding my snow shovel (uncurved blade) at the halfway point, pushing the tube to contact and then very carefully lift/invert the shovel while holding the tube, taking care to swing away from the snowboard.  I'll have a 2-gallon wash pail to dump the 1st partial core and just put the tube upside down into the pail with the 2nd.  I do the melt/measure like dendrite.  

7 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Kinda hard to invert the big tube for a core.  :D
My Stratus lives indoors in the cold season, only let outside to take cores.  Despite the claim of safety, I'm not confident that it would survive a heavy rain followed by freeze.  Two years ago we had a 2"+ downpour while we were in SNJ for Christmas.  When we got back, the 5-gal used for winter precip held an ice-discus that had bowed the bottom nearly an inch without breaking it - returned to normal once emptied and warmed.  If there's much over 11" on the board I'll take the core in 2 steps, usually by carefully sliding my snow shovel (uncurved blade) at the halfway point, pushing the tube to contact and then very carefully lift/invert the shovel while holding the tube, taking care to swing away from the snowboard.  I'll have a 2-gallon wash pail to dump the 1st partial core and just put the tube upside down into the pail with the 2nd.  I do the melt/measure like dendrite.  

Found out the hard way, Left it out with water inside the graduated inner cylinder, It froze solid and put a bulge into one side of it so i had to replace it, Now i just bring it indoors unless we look to have a warm rain event like a grinch storm.

Took a hour drive north from Nashua today Around 11am on highway 

First noticeable increase is when you enter Concord, NH . The Trees were just caked w Powder . Drove another 15 miles north to the Rest area near the Northfield , NH border. Parked and took a walk . Was gorgeous winter wonderland with snow just below the kneecap. Drove another 10 miles north And saw a couple vehicles in driveways buried still , and then turned around Headed south and grabbed AYCE Sushi (made to order) in MHT. Good times . 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Took a hour drive north from Nashua today Around 11am on highway 

First noticeable increase is when you enter Concord, NH . The Trees were just caked w Powder . Drove another 15 miles north to the Rest area near the Northfield , NH border. Parked and took a walk . Was gorgeous winter wonderland with snow just below the kneecap. Drove another 10 miles north And saw a couple vehicles in driveways buried still , and then turned around Headed south and grabbed AYCE Sushi (made to order) in MHT. Good times . 

Too bad you couldn’t get up here yesterday. I mean the snow is still impressive, but I’ve already compacted from 30” to 21” imby. 

btw...that rest area on the Northfield/Canterbury line has the Canterbury RWIS in front of it. Pound city yesterday...

https://vortex.plymouth.edu/mapwall/cgi-bin/display_rwis.php?id=10008&yy=2020&mm=12&dd=17

18 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Found out the hard way, Left it out with water inside the graduated inner cylinder, It froze solid and put a bulge into one side of it so i had to replace it, Now i just bring it indoors unless we look to have a warm rain event like a grinch storm.

I leave the large outer cylinder out in the snow (Stratus) and melt that.  I have cracked the inner one before leaving it out and getting water to freeze in it... so that comes inside all winter.

4 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Lol what guy with advanced dementia thought the new NWS radar page was a good idea. WTF

Well, our old radar page sucked. Bad.

This isn’t much better though. Not intuitive and graphics are only so so. So many good sites out there we could’ve reached out to for ideas.