Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dec 16-17 obs/nowcast thread

ORH_wxman

14 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

That happens in a big one. Not much sleep, all that work and then you’re exhausted. 
Enjoy it. Finally got a biggy and for me...one that matters most. Rates. As I get older, I’m more impressed with impacts and how the storm happens vs what actually falls. 

Its funny watching my young buds get old

15 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Going to work on a map now. Had to get this out of the way first. Scrolled through the last 25 pages to find all the CT reports, used PNS and NWS 72 hour snowfall maps. Reports earlier than 900AM were thrown out, as well as all the CoCoRahs stuff that ends exactly 7AM. BOX did a great job weeding out all those reports so that made it easier but OKX left a bunch of old garabge in that i had to sift through. ALY was good. Also threw out that 26" Litchfield county report from a drunken snow weenie measuring a snow plow pile.

If anyone has any additional reports id be happy to add them before i do the map, speak now or forever hold your peace.

snowfallreports2.png

snowfallreports.thumb.PNG.840f2016f624d92f88b1a00b7285d399.PNG

Man I trained my wife well. Within a half inch of surroundings.  I actually ended up with 12.5 with an inch added from chaff gravity wave snow

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Its funny watching my young buds get old

My back spasms have been so bad that a few weeks ago I needed Lisa to help me walk and get to and from the bathroom. Was in bed for 2-3 days straight. It’s getting a little better, but I can still feel it act up sometimes. I had to shovel around the run and that’s where it starts to twitch out. Thank god for the snowblower and the armorskids over my shitty, uneven, dirt/gravel driveway. :oldman:

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Newbury NH cocorahs just came in with 43.9” and a 30” depth. That’s the same depth I had at peak yesterday. 

Those totals from andover, franklin, danbury, newport, springfiels, claremont, even new london, were impressive. They and you maxed that band.  4 miles see if Boscawe n reported 24.  I'm on a hill North side of boscawen, closer to that band.  My max was 24 depth and yours was 30.  Way too exposed and windy up here.  I'll go 6" below you.  What was your final?  32.8?

5 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

Those totals from andover, franklin, danbury, newport, springfiels, claremont, even new london, were impressive. They and you maxed that band.  4 miles see if Boscawe n reported 24.  I'm on a hill North side of boscawen, closer to that band.  My max was 24 depth and yours was 30.  Way too exposed and windy up here.  I'll go 6" below you.  What was your final?  32.8?

34.4”

The high-res RDPS definitely performed the best with the band. In nailed the location for multiple runs. I wish I could see soundings for that. Does any site have them?

• Like 1

Some interesting and fun comments in the NH cocorahs obs this morning. I see obs from people with less w.e. than me, but 40-48” of snow. I find that hard to imagine considering I was already clearing every 6 hours and pulled 34.4” with 1.89”. I hope no one was clearing more rapidly than 6hrly intervals. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Some interesting and fun comments in the NH cocorahs obs this morning. I see obs from people with less w.e. than me, but 40-48” of snow. I find that hard to imagine considering I was already clearing every 6 hours and pulled 34.4” with 1.89”. I hope no one was clearing more rapidly than 6hrly intervals. 

Danbury NH Cocorahs reported 48" over the 2 day period. That would be the max jack if correct.  They are also reporting 48" depth at 8am--obviously that is not passing the sniff test.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dendrite said:

I have this thing where there’s no way I can start cleaning up the snow until it’s over. I need to see the untouched aftermath or else I get ragey. It’s probably a Kevin OCD thing. 

Oh I’m Absolutely Right with you!  That’s like Rule #1 in my Nazi Level Snow Control.  

56 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Danbury NH Cocorahs reported 48" over the 2 day period. That would be the max jack if correct.  They are also reporting 48" depth at 8am--obviously that is not passing the sniff test.

28.0” 2.00”
22.0” 1.82”

48” 3.82”

Yeah there’s a problem with that. Blow off from the roof maybe? That would pack it down and create a huge total.

9 hours ago, Amped said:

Anyone remember this event?  30-40 totals weren't as widespread, but it looks like rates were comparable over S VT and NW mass.

I sure do! ;) I "measured" 45 inches in that event, but have since changed my measuring protocols to be consistent with CoCoRaHS methodology since I was clearing the board too much. I probably had somewhere in the 36-40" range. I clear the board once every 24 hours now. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Going to work on a map now. Had to get this out of the way first. Scrolled through the last 25 pages to find all the CT reports, used PNS and NWS 72 hour snowfall maps. Reports earlier than 900AM were thrown out, as well as all the CoCoRahs stuff that ends exactly 7AM. BOX did a great job weeding out all those reports so that made it easier but OKX left a bunch of old garabge in that i had to sift through. ALY was good. Also threw out that 26" Litchfield county report from a drunken snow weenie measuring a snow plow pile.

If anyone has any additional reports id be happy to add them before i do the map, speak now or forever hold your peace.

Got an extra .5" in those band that came through in the afternoon.  9.5" total in SE corner of Salem.

7 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I can't prove it or anything.  He is a trained spotter and has a snow stake, but sometimes his numbers seem high.  He could be legit...

He could be totally innocuous in his measuring but just have a bad siting where the snow board location is prone to drifting or blowoff from roof or something like that which causes consistently higher measurements.

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

He could be totally innocuous in his measuring but just have a bad siting where the snow board location is prone to drifting or blowoff from roof or something like that which causes consistently higher measurements.

Some of his reports seem to come right after other area ones (including my own) where it is like he is one-upping the others...  Hubbardston posted 11.5?  I will post 12.5"... 

Just seems odd     I don't doubt he had more snow than me yesterday though

1 minute ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Some of his reports seem to come right after other area ones (including my own) where it is like he is one-upping the others...  Hubbardston posted 11.5?  I will post 12.5"... 

Just seems odd     I don't doubt he had more snow than me yesterday though

Yeah if that is the case, then I'd start being suspicious of deliberately bad totals from him....which is really not cool. Nothing worse than someone deliberately passing off unreliable data.

34 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Seems low. Center Sandwich 18.1” and Meredith 36.8” in cocorahs. Where in CH is your parent’s place?

It's on the CH/Moultonboro Line. I looked at the Center Harbor In webcam and was not impressed. I'm sure it was more than 11.5", but didn't look terrible deep.

What's up with Logan airport's snowfall total in CLI not matching the PNS?

...Suffolk County...
   Charlestown           13.4   426 PM 12/17  General Public
   Chelsea               13.3   258 PM 12/17  Trained Spotter
   Dorchester            13.2   240 PM 12/17  Ham Radio
   Logan AP              13.1   700 PM 12/17  Logan Airport

CLI has 0.4" on 12/16 and 12.3" on 12/17 for a total of 12.7"

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

What's up with Logan airport's snowfall total in CLI not matching the PNS?

...Suffolk County...
   Charlestown           13.4   426 PM 12/17  General Public
   Chelsea               13.3   258 PM 12/17  Trained Spotter
   Dorchester            13.2   240 PM 12/17  Ham Radio
   Logan AP              13.1   700 PM 12/17  Logan Airport

CLI has 0.4" on 12/16 and 12.3" on 12/17 for a total of 12.7"

Because BOX keeps effing it up. 12.7" will be the official total. 

• Like 1