Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Dec 16-17 obs/nowcast thread

ORH_wxman

1 minute ago, KoalaBeer said:

Sent from an old friend who moved up to Gilford. Wouldn’t want to be at the bottom when that snow slid off the roof. Out west you have people die in little mini avalanches every year that fall of there roof and bury them...I don’t recall seeing that on the news ever here though. 

73AC84AF-3840-478A-BB0D-A70F4BA13A30.jpeg

I'm still in awe.  Hopefully folks realize just how rare this is.  That was a very high end event.

41 minutes ago, wxsniss said:

What an awesome storm... that WCB band through eastern MA 1-2am was one of the best I've seen in 25+ years in Boston

Multiple different mechanisms on display (WCB, mid-level frontogenesis, CCB) more geographically disjointed than what I'm used to seeing

This season already a great start with 2 over-performers (Oct 29, Dec 16), 1 big bust (Dec 5)

Still don't understand why not a single model had any clue on that mid-level fronto being so far northwest, intense, and stationary... do we know if the track of the ULL was very different than progged? Haven't had time to go through guidance vs. mesoanalysis to understand what happened.

Final_snowfall_reports_20201217.jpg.cd91edf9998388eb0e2170001fc363e2.jpg

The CMC was pretty darn close.  Look at 12 Z yesterday. 

prateptype.us_ne.png

And look at the Kuchera numbers that were spit out:

https://www.pivotalweather.com/model.php?m=gdps&p=snku_acc&rh=2020121612&fh=42&r=us_ne&dpdt=&mc=

snku_acc.us_ne.png

It had the band just south of there for at least a few runs prior.

ex: 0z on the 16th

prateptype.us_ne.png

Eckster.......lol

FXUS61 KGYX 172336
AFDGYX

Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Gray ME
636 PM EST Thu Dec 17 2020

.SYNOPSIS...
Low pressure will move south and east of Nantucket this
afternoon. High pressure returns for the end of the week into
the weekend. A series of weak disturbances may bring scattered
snow and rain showers to the area by Sunday through early next
week along with moderating temperatures.

&&

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 AM FRIDAY MORNING/...
630 PM Update...All warnings have been allowed to expire.
Clearing is beginning to take place in the north, and will
gradually work south. Some flurries will remain possible across
southeastern NH this evening. Winds will also continue to
gradually diminish. No significant changes to the going
forecast.

As far as late last night and today went...can you say
frontogenesis and dendritic growth? Wow.

2 minutes ago, dendrite said:

1.89”

so over the coming days it’ll work its way down to 10:1

Yeah snow likes to find 10:1 over time, but that has to be one of the more impressive positive busts of all time within that band.  Put that in the scrolls.  Modern models can still royally f*ck up at like 12 hours lead time.

7 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

10.5". No complaints. More than frcst and super easy to snowblow

First storm with the 5.5" of cement, I had changed the belt on the JD tractor which is like 6' long and goes thru a v pulley and a flat pulley, Only have changed it twice in 30 yrs, I go to snow blow the driveway, And instead of the auger spinning clockwise and throwing the snow up the chute, Its going counterclockwise and throwing it out the front like a broom sweeper, Got that changed on Saturday, Tonight, Get half the drive way done, And a spring breaks that runs the idler pulleys to keep the belt tight to the hydrostatic drive so now i have no forward or reverse and had to push the tractor back into the car port, SMFH.

Final of 21.7”
The last 8.7” was 23:1, but storm total was 1.8”/hr and 17.5:1 average.
We were under death band for quite awhile. Somewhat surprised we didn't get more, but wow at the variability in totals even within same town. Raymond had as low as 8" and high as 13". Of course that pales in comparison to other towns.

First storm with the 5.5" of cement, I had changed the belt on the JD tractor which is like 6' long and goes thru a v pulley and a flat pulley, Only have changed it twice in 30 yrs, I go to snow blow the driveway, And instead of the auger spinning clockwise and throwing the snow up the chute, Its going counterclockwise and throwing it out the front like a broom sweeper, Got that changed on Saturday, Tonight, Get half the drive way done, And a spring breaks that runs the idler pulleys to keep the belt tight to the hydrostatic drive so now i have no forward or reverse and had to push the tractor back into the car port, SMFH.
Thats no good. Shovel the rest? Seems like things happen in threes. Whats next? I'm waiting for my deere tranny to snap. It's a sealed one and the driveway incline taxes the hell out of it

I’m sure when this goes through some reanalysis and scrutiny, we’re going to find insane ML fronto numbers along with super deep DGZ column. 

We had a beast arctic high up there and this was slamming up right into it with extreme negative tilt aloft. So my guess is the models prob undersold the ML fronto...even though it was already really impressive on guidance. The super deep DGZ always helps too because you aren’t needing to be very precise with where the lift is to get the cross-hair sig. 

• Like 2

Just now, Lava Rock said:
5 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Thats no good. Shovel the rest? Seems like things happen in threes. Whats next? I'm waiting for my deere tranny to snap. It's a sealed one and the driveway incline taxes the hell out of it

I'm getting to old for this crap, I will go to US AG and Turf in the morning and pick another one up and fix it, Luckily i had the biggest part of the middle done and the bottom of the driveway, My driveway is 150' long, Good thing it snapped at the top about 15' from where its parked...............:yikes:.

1 minute ago, Hoth said:

Certainly pegged the sleet down here well. I dismissed them out of hand, but they were spot on.

We posted to folks yesterday to not ignore the NAM. It and Reggie drove that midlevel warmth inland 25-30 miles run after run. When the NAM drills mid level warming north , I always take notice 

7 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

We posted to folks yesterday to not ignore the NAM. It and Reggie drove that midlevel warmth inland 25-30 miles run after run. When the NAM drills mid level warming north , I always take notice 

Yeah, noted for sure for future reference. It was a very solid storm for sure, but a pity we dryslotted/sleeted for so much of the overnight hours.

https://easternmassweather.blogspot.com/2020/12/1217-major-winter-storm-verification.html

My ranges were fine throughout central and eastern SNE, but in the lower half, so I probably should have used 10-16" and 8-12", instead of 12-18" and 10-16" in the northeast and central screw zones.

I also didn't expect that primary deformation to maintain as well as did into VT and NH...no one did. It also set up about 35mi N of where I forecast it...which turned 3-6" of fluff forecast for Brian into 3 feet.

Final Grade: B+

12:17 FINAL CALL.png

12:17 Verification.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1