Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Dec 16-17 obs/nowcast thread

ORH_wxman

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

It's the opposite of the 12/5 event....I think all of our lift down here has been lower level stuff since about 4-5am, but we've kept nice dendrites mostly. Helps when it's like -8C to -10C in the 850-925 layer with all that easterly flow supplying tons of salt nuclei.

It's a clown show outside. I measured at 1 pm and have 3.9" since then. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

It's a clown show outside. I measured at 1 pm and have 3.9" since then. 

Hey Ocean, greetings from your old home in the DVN area.  Well-known long-time met here, Terry Swails, temporarily moved to Portland this year so he could experience Maine nor'easters.  He is really loving today's snowfall.

27 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah I mean those rates are the only way to get like 41” of depth in 11 hours.  They had bare ground at midnight.  At some point it had to be like a foot an hour.

Im blown away, I’ve never seen anything like that.

12am... bare ground

11am... 41” depth.  :lol:

Outside of lake effect I don’t know If something like that has happened. Valentine’s Day 2007 potentially? That was a bit longer duration tho wasn’t it?

I left my back window open. Thank God not much snow got in the car but IT'S FREEZING IN THERE UGHHHHHHHH.

Two years ago when we had the major snowstorm the day the Patriots beat the Chiefs in the AFC Championship and it was like -15 outside Sunday night, I left my back windows open and when I went out to work at 5 AM the inside of my car was a popscile. 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

Hey Ocean, greetings from your old home in the DVN area.  Well-known long-time met here, Terry Swails, temporarily moved to Portland this year so he could experience Maine nor'easters.  He is really loving today's snowfall.

What timing for Terry! 

Honestly I could sneeze most of this snow away so it's not heavy in the weight sense, but for sustained heavy snowfall this has been one of the better in recent years. Certainly February 2013 was like this but most of it occurred overnight and I was locked into 30 of 36 hours at work. I've been full weenie mode with a nice daylight event. I haven't had 20" at the new house yet, and I may do it in the next hour if it keeps this up.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Yea if you cleared it, would have been 13” maybe. It’s all good, let’s stick with 11.5” to make the next one more special. I’m still hunting for that 18+ biggie that I haven’t had since 2011.  One day I’d like a Dendy 30-36” so I can retire on top ha.

Me too. Ive never experience anything more than 15 actually. To this day it eludes me. North Haven has seen some big ones 30" in Mar 11 and 37" on Feb 8-9 officially.

I cleared twice for three different measurements. First one 9.4" when we mixed with sleet for a while, then 2.7" from the second half, then a final burst of snow from the squall for 0.7". When i checked depth early it was over 11", it started to compact and might have even been less than that after we got nearly an inch more. Depth is 10-11" range.

Greetings from Grantham, NH.  I thought things were exciting with the NHDOT plow rolling over at exit 13 this morning but the 38” report is probably better.  Measured 34 at our place (nothing scientific, no clearing) with about 20 of that between 7a and 1p.  Just about done now and time to start the cleanup  BDE242FE-0C1F-4959-A949-9A8A37B1686D.thumb.jpeg.76f2e39f9a4027919270f995c5461c72.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, jwolfe said:

Greetings from Grantham, NH.  I thought things were exciting with the NHDOT plow rolling over at exit 13 this morning but the 38” report is probably better.  Measured 34 at our place (nothing scientific, no clearing) with about 20 of that between 7a and 1p.  Just about done now and time to start the cleanup  BDE242FE-0C1F-4959-A949-9A8A37B1686D.thumb.jpeg.76f2e39f9a4027919270f995c5461c72.jpeg

Good grief.  

16 minutes ago, jwolfe said:

Nice.  Welcome to the board.  I love that area.  Are you near Eastman Golf Links.  I like that course

• Like 1

From a local standpoint, this event was entirely forgettable for me, from an aggregate meteorological perspective....ie underwhelming total snowfall, as expect. But the reason that I will remember it are threefold:

1) My daughter's first experience in the snow, and she is hooked....too her sledding down the driveway and side road. No mesoscale met screwing can rob me of that.

2) Others have mentioned, but that was the most hostile WCB in terms of sensible weather than I can ever remember....cold, wind, intensity of snowfall....reminded me of Jan 2005 and Feb 2013 from about 1-4am.

3) Obviously the insanity of the snowfall in that band to the n and w that I just missed....44" totals are memorable, even for the most IMBY guy alive.

• Like 6

Yeah my new cub cadet made quick work of the snow, including plow piles where I put my trash bins. I’m happy with it so far. 

The one I had was a craftsman my dad bought when I was like 7 years old... so 19 years ago. Pretty rugged machine but it’s leaking fuel, and all the metal on it is pretty corroded. Not worth putting money into a machine that old.

My favorite feature about the one I just bought is dual LED headlights. The old one didn’t have those and it could be a pain in the ass.

• Like 1

I got lucky ( for me) about 7-8" here on the south tip of the quabbin. I am happy to have that modeled hole keep my totals down, just too busy, but at the same time it was awesome to watch this historic event unfold. Congrats to all !! 

1 hour ago, LaGrangewx said:

3 inches in 13 minutes is almost 14 an hour. I bet you’re right they would’ve Had 10 if they measured the hour of peak intensity on a board

Helps to explain the science behind what happened with  me in march 2018...its all about when you measure it when its falling that intensely.

• Like 1