• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Dec 16-17 obs/nowcast thread

ORH_wxman

Slowly gained another inch since 7:30 so over 13" now....we caught the sucker hole the last couple hours, but not all of it...still getting consistent light snow.

Hoping for the steadier stuff to roll back in and pick up another 1-2". Would be cool to get to 15"....my personal expectation was 10-12 so we've exceeded that already.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I see what happened here...

ah - yeah...it's pretty obvious.  

Sparring a lot of thesaurus work - satellite really shows it all... There is a clear mid level rotation that's moving roughly ALB-RUT- ..destined to mid Coast Maine if it gets that far before it starts to open up and lose identity atoning to the models that sold that phenomenon leading up to this... Anyway, there is clearly a lower tropospheric low pressure SE of ISP by a few clicks ( dry air seclusion is noted on hi res vis)... 

Meanwhile, what separates these two is unsually cold air here in the interior.   It seems this system's losing mechanical punch - and the GFS ...albeit too aggressive in doing so, does get a nod for seeing this attenuation of the total wave-space mechanics leaving our skies...  But the forcing was split by the polar wedge, which is too damn strong/thick - this system didn't need 9 F DPs through 300 mb of the tropospheric lower sounding, and air temps hung up at 21 F to get the job done.  It was too much and as the SW come up and road over the N edge of that polar boundary's fascia wall, it didn't have the ability to cut the low level circulation through the viscus low level air... 

That's why this split happened... The snow/totals there in the SE are coming from a lower growth region in the sounding ( I bet ...) associated with their proximity to that low level cyclonic reflection ..probably entirely driven by 700 ( or so..) mb mechanics/ that is probably going to die off out there S of NS ... while the stuff up along the frontogen axis is purely a mid level blizzard overcoming the lower dry air... It's pretty cool to watch this happen..

I feel very confident if the mid level wind max/ DPVA trajectories were farther S along the actual polar interface/LLV thickness packing therein... you would have collocated that torsional energy with the low level and this would have been more of a 2005 idealized structure...   In a sense, this is like taking the 2005 Dec event and pulling it apart/stressing and tiling it's vertical structure... which unfortunately, creates this red-headed step-child negation band from NE CT to SE NH

That was the "thesaurus free" version?!

• Haha 2

snow stake is at 8".  If I were to do an official observation from the snowboard right now I imagine I'd be at 9", but not doing that until the next 6hr mark (2PM).

Visibility is currently <0.15 mile. I can't see the radio tower that's that far away from my house.

Despite not being under that sick band, radar looks fantastic.

2 minutes ago, Henry's Weather said:

Although it does appear that @ORH_wxman did pretty well 

ORH had less than my current place in Holliston. Winter hill is just now around 10". Have 13"+ in Holliston.

Looks like radar is filling in though so maybe another inch or two out in areas that were in the sucker hole

Dec17_1030amRadarokx.gif

• Like 2

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

ORH had less than my current place in Holliston. Winter hill is just now around 10". Have 13"+ in Holliston.

Looks like radar is filling in though so maybe another inch or two out in areas that were in the sucker hole

Dec17_1030amRadarokx.gif

hoping we can get some of that rotting deformation band in a couple hours.