Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Dec 16-17 obs/nowcast thread

ORH_wxman

17 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

Back to moderate snow in Methuen

You're scraping your way to a meager snow-life as a pedestrian deal ... while the rich like Brian trample on the bruised backs of the labors - lol...

Seriously though, this systems intensely banded nature is making the deposition layout very uneven. In a step-back larger 'physical' sense, ...take from one region, and load it into another - relative to this system's forcing, this stuff's gotta come from somewhere. 

I mean, we've got a 'yard-sticker' event up there in NY and frankly - was that even well handled?  I'm 'pretty sure' - though didn't pay very close attention admittedly ... - that NWS offices didn't have those regions ...you know, doing that ... But who knows..  But if you take half off their totals, and half those along this pig CEO band in CNE.. and spread it more 'fairly' and ubiquitously, the system ...we're all in for 16+.   It's interesting if one can disconnect disappointment and just look at it analytically actually ... Probably won't be able do that for about 9.4 years, or ironically the same total in snow inches we get in this ... gravity well ?

That's something I'm wondering ...if the offset DVM imposed by a compensating standing wave is partly to blame for this rather striking systemic dearth in this zone, too -

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

My parents have 23" on the level near ALB, just starting to snowblow.  My dad is 6'3" so that's pretty solid, ha.

Untitled.jpg.2e0fa68572b6f3a844a6692792133026.jpg

Cool, I grew up there and my parents (well, my Mom) still lives right next to the University (Dad taught there). Where around Albany is that, if you don't mind me asking?

Ended up around 7" here.

A little bummed we didn't make a run on double digits. I knew we were gonna slot, but really thought the front end would perform a little better. But at least happy to have a warning event not ending in slop and that will stick around a few days. 30F was the high around 5-6am...back down to 22F now. 

Also first time (and likely the last time) in my life I'm jealous to not be living in Binghamton.

Looks like Cannon fired the cannon.....lol

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 PM THIS EVENING/...
927 AM Update...
...Dangerous storm in progress...
Extremely hazardous travel conditions will continue with
snowfall rates topping out at 2 to 5 inches this morning in the
vicinity of a quasi-stationary band across central New
Hampshire to southern Maine. Mesoscale models indicate this
extreme snowband will remain in place, before easing south and
east and weakening this afternoon. Until then, extreme snowfall
rates will continue in some areas.

Have raised snowfall totals across southern and central Maine.
All the advisories have been converted to warnings, with a sharp
cutoff continuing to the north. Snowfall totals will continue to
meet or exceed 30 inches in some southern/central locations
where this band remains nearly stationary and pivots with time.
Near blizzard conditions and extremely hazardous travel will
continue.
&&

$$
Cannon/Curtis
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Kuchera ratios will definitely come to fruition in the meat of the band, because it’s actually producing pure dendrites at 15-20:1. Obviously you can’t broad brush Kuchera over the whole region.

when will the zones be updated to "total accumulations 2-3+ with locally higher amounts for chickens"?