Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 16/17 Snow Wall Obs Thread

hazwoper

4 hours ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Warm punch was modeled on the NAM since Sunday actually. Most of us shrugged it off as the NAM at range but it led the way....again.

Same thing happened here while the other models had all snow.

I have about 5 inches on the ground.  I had very heavy sleet before

South shore of NYC 

1 hour ago, Newman said:

Just went out to measure this final backside sleet and snow, measured 3" making a storm total of 9.5"

1 hour ago, Newman said:

Just went out to measure this final backside sleet and snow, measured 3" making a storm total of 9.5"

I just measured three different areas out here and came up with 10”  with light snow still falling

1 minute ago, Wentzadelphia said:

I made a huge mistake and went to Lewisburg. I think i got 15-16”. Obviously not complaining that way,  but the stationary mega band setup like 45 mins to my north. Ughhhh I always miss the jackpot zone somehow haha

I know there was some concern about whether anyone would have any jackpots that actually got anywhere near the early snow maps, so considering that there was some wrap-around overnight, it will be interesting to see the final numbers and if any did get close.

3 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

I know there was some concern about whether anyone would have any jackpots that actually got anywhere near the early snow maps, so considering that there was some wrap-around overnight, it will be interesting to see the final numbers and if any did get close.

There will be a strip of 20-36” totals with this one. Those pictures from BGM and nearby are insane. That’s what I was chasing :(. You don’t get many opportunities for this, but there will be another one. Still chasing the mythical 30” 

Just now, Wentzadelphia said:

There will be a strip of 20-36” totals with this one. Those pictures from BGM and nearby are insane. That’s what I was chasing :(. You don’t get many opportunities for this, but there will be another one. Still chasing the mythical 30” 

Was just reading about Binghamton.  I'll never forget 1996 and the record 2-day 30"+ dump around my birthday. The plows eventually made 5ft - 6ft walls of snow along the sidewalks. :blink: :lol:

1 minute ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Was just reading about Binghamton.  I'll never forget 1996 and the record 2-day 30"+ dump around my birthday. The plows eventually made 5ft - 6ft walls of snow along the sidewalks. :blink: :lol:

Yep. I was only 8, but I have great memories of that storm. I’m just a little upset because on my last 4 chases I setup shop in the wrong spot. Nemo is the one that pisses me off the most. Did will in C Ma,  but that snow in CT was off the chains. 

Just now, Wentzadelphia said:

Yep. I was only 8, but I have great memories of that storm. I’m just a little upset because on my last 4 chases I setup shop in the wrong spot. Nemo is the one that pisses me off the most. Did will in C Ma,  but that snow in CT was off the chains. 

I remember way back when Randy and crew chased and live-blogged on here (when it was still Eastern Weather) a lake-effect event up on the Tug Hill Plateau.  That was a wild thread. :thumbsup:

Well this was obviously not what we all hoped for, however, after last year its hard to complain. While I do not have an official measurement for my perch on the mountain my confidence is high that 12” was exceeded but doubtful it would go beyond 14-16. I will survey later once the sun comes up.

There were certainly moments of puking snow and wind creating white out conditions. I did not stay up for the upper low backlash but looking at the cameras it certainly delivered 4-6+ in short order. Can really see it pile up on time scroll.

Funny my skiers were all cheering for the mega storm. I reminded them when this was obviously going to under perform that 2-3ft powder in the Poconos is really NOT the best conditions for skiing. There is simply not enough vertical and length, unlike say VT, NH and out west. (There are a few exceptions that our trail specific, like razor).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, penndotguy said:

I just measured three different areas out here and came up with 10”  with light snow still falling

You're right! I measured too early haha. Went out this morning and another inch fell. 10.5" storm total. Solid storm. Getting into work this morning was a nightmare. 

Congrats to Allentown for breaking a record (doubled the amount) for the date (12/16 )-

&&

.CLIMATE...
Here are the daily snowfall records for Wednesday, Dec 16 and
Thursday, Dec 17:

Dec 16
Allentown...9.2" in 2020 **NEW RECORD**
Atlantic City Airport...0.8" in 2010
Philadelphia...7.1" in 1896
Wilmington...3.5" in 1896

Dec 17
Allentown...2.1" in 2013
Atlantic City Airport...0.2" in 2013