• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December 16/17 Snow Wall Obs Thread

hazwoper

Anyone want to hazard a guess as to why all the models and predictions turned out to be so wrong with this storm? Two days ago we were supposed to get almost 2' of snow, then yesterday they backed it off to 13", and now I have barely 4" with sleet coming down much further north than predicted, with not much else seemingly incoming. I mean, I want to be happy for the first major snowfall in a long, long while, but why the huge bust this time?

Abington here and it looks like at least 5-6 inches out back.

The NWS site says:

"Snow before 9pm, then snow and sleet between 9pm and 4am, then snow after 4am. The snow and sleet could be heavy at times. Low around 26. Blustery, with a northeast wind 20 to 25 mph, with gusts as high as 40 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total nighttime snow and sleet accumulation of 3 to 7 inches possible."

Is  another 3 to 7 really possibe?

1 minute ago, I Like Snow said:

Abington here and it looks like at least 5-6 inches out back.

The NWS site says:

"Snow before 9pm, then snow and sleet between 9pm and 4am, then snow after 4am. The snow and sleet could be heavy at times. Low around 26. Blustery, with a northeast wind 20 to 25 mph, with gusts as high as 40 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total nighttime snow and sleet accumulation of 3 to 7 inches possible."

Is  another 3 to 7 really possibe?

Certainly possible...remember that 3 to 7" includes sleet which again counts as snow....it just accumulates more slowly...most spots will go back over to snow overnight....so total additional snow/sleet if you get under the wrap around band could get there....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CoolHandMike said:

Anyone want to hazard a guess as to why all the models and predictions turned out to be so wrong with this storm? Two days ago we were supposed to get almost 2' of snow, then yesterday they backed it off to 13", and now I have barely 4" with sleet coming down much further north than predicted, with not much else seemingly incoming. I mean, I want to be happy for the first major snowfall in a long, long while, but why the huge bust this time?

The warm punch has been modeled for at least the last 24hrs it was a clear and present danger. Also all the snow maps that have been flying around with 10:1 ratios are garbage and now you know why.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CoolHandMike said:

well its never good when your in the bullseye 5+days out that fails almost always, so I think alot of us had this outcome in the back of our minds from the get go. Its not over yet this should change back to snow as Low passes at least thats how I read it. Lets let things play out. 

Just now, LVblizzard said:

Looks like the sleet line is starting to slow significantly as it approaches Allentown.

I thought it was a radar hallucination, but it does appear to be getting beaten back some.  Time will tell.  Haven't seen the latest short-range guidance re: 850/700 lows, so I'm not sure if we still stand a chance of hanging on here from 78 northward.  Might be a good time to take a look at the 00Z soundings as they roll in.

IP has really picked up over last 30 minutes temp now starting back up now at 25.8....just measured another 0.3" of IP bringing our snowfall for the day up to 6.0" - also noting a few mangled snow flakes starting to mix back in over the last few minutes...should see a transition back to snow later tonight from NW to SE....someone will pick up several more inches in wrap around later tonight....not sure where but - nice storm for December!!

• Like 1