Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Mid-Atlantic Winter 2020-21 Snow Totals

George BM

9 minutes ago, mappy said:

dang you guys are doing good up there. amazing what that extra elevation will do in our marginal events. 

Yeah,  been a crazy year. Never have seen such dramatic differences in such a short distance. Can you believe PSU's total is 6 inches more than mine and I can see his house from my back deck. I'm at 860ft. and his is roughly 1050ft. He is at 51 inches and BWI is 10.3. Just absurd.

11 minutes ago, HighStakes said:

Yeah,  been a crazy year. Never have seen such dramatic differences in such a short distance. Can you believe PSU's total is 6 inches more than mine and I can see his house from my back deck. I'm at 860ft. and his is roughly 1050ft. He is at 51 inches and BWI is 10.3. Just absurd.

Its drastic just from you to me. I'm only at 30, with 140 feet less elevation than you. 

On 2/23/2021 at 1:58 PM, HighStakes said:

On 2/23/2021 at 2:10 PM, mappy said:

Its drastic just from you to me. I'm only at 30, with 140 feet less elevation than you. 

Cant remember a year where we had so many marginal boundary temp storms and every degree and 100 feet elevation mattered as much as it did this year. Very odd. The upper level pattern was perfect so places like Catoctin and the peaks of Parrs Ridge that had just enough elevation to overcome the general lack of low level cold did great compared to everyone else, even compared to the typical climo differences. 

On 2/24/2021 at 3:05 PM, Mordecai said:

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but would anyone happen to have the updated version of this map? Would appreciate it. 

e57ozfO.png

I've got it.

Seriously though, as others have pointed out, the gradient is absolutely astonishing. Makes it hard for me to figure out how well my old home has done, but I'm just about certain it's somewhere between @nw baltimore wx and mappy. Probably just over 20" and right near the climo median. Maybe @Jeff B can clarify.

On another note, the map looks a bit low for @losetoa6 location.

Ev4Sgtt.png

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Fozz said:

I've got it.

Seriously though, as others have pointed out, the gradient is absolutely astonishing. Makes it hard for me to figure out how well my old home has done, but I'm just about certain it's somewhere between @nw baltimore wx and mappy. Probably just over 20" and right near the climo median. Maybe @Jeff B can clarify.

Ev4Sgtt.png

I’m at around 17” and Mappy around 30”, I think. If half my sleet had been snow, I’d be above climo. Not a bad winter, but I feel like we missed an opportunity when the pattern flipped recently. Someone smarter than me can comment (almost anyone, I’m sure) but I think we often score when a persistent -nao flips positive, but we couldn’t get it done this year.

1 minute ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I’m at around 17” and Mappy around 30”, I think. If half my sleet had been snow, I’d be above climo. Not a bad winter, but I feel like we missed an opportunity when the pattern flipped recently. Someone smarter than me can comment (almost anyone, I’m sure) but I think we often score when a persistent -nao flips positive, but we couldn’t get it done this year.

I'll take a stab at this (I'm likely wrong but I recall seeing this idea floated around), but the Feb 16 storm was initially our storm window. It looked to be our classic HA event with cold air on tap as well (up until the Thursday before the EPS was advertising pretty cold temps out ahead). However at like 90hrs out guidance picked up on a wave that went across the boundary that was set up just to the west of us, which didn't allow the cold air to filter through our area. By the time that storm passed through on Sunday, the Tuesday system was doomed to ride that boundary as well and cut. Thursday's event ended up being a pretty similar setup, but the NAO was already positive by that point (instead of flipping to positive during that event like it would've on Tuesday), and the trough was too far west, etc. Someone can correct me on this, but I remember someone (PSU??) pointing out that the cold air source from the TPV would've been way more favorable on that Tuesday, but allowing it to get stale for 2 days longer certainly didn't help, as well as the teleconnections being slightly less favorable. 

10 hours ago, Fozz said:

I've got it.

That map has been low all winter in spots, especially in the mountains.  Deep Creek is over 100”.   It looks accurate for Arlington though.  Probably at 6-7” for the season (I don’t keep track, oops).

Dec 7,9,14,25/2020: T

Dec 16-17, 2020: 2.1"

Dec 18, 2020: 0.2"

Jan 5, 2021: T

Jan 18, 2021: T

Jan 20, 2021: 0.1"

Jan 25-26, 2021: 0.2"

Jan 31- Feb 3, 2021: 5.0"

Feb 4-5, 9/ 2021: T

Feb 7, 2021: 2.4"

Feb 10-11, 2021: 0.4" snow/sleet

Feb 13, 2021: 0.2" sleet

Feb 18, 2021: 1.0" sleet (some pea-sized sleet for a time around 10am)

Feb 22, 2021: 0.3"

Total as of Feb 26, 2021: 11.9"

12/16 - 2.4"

12/17 - 0.1"

12/18 - 0.1"

12/20 - T

12/25 - T 

1/25 - 0.5"

1/31 - 2.6"

2/1 - 1.4"

2/2 - 2.2"

2/3 - T

2/7 - 2.0"

2/10 - 0.7"

2/11 - 0.7"

2/13 - 0.4" 

2/18 - 1.75" 

2/19 - T

2/22 - 0.75"

2/26 - T

Total: 15.6"

December: 2.6"

January: 3.1"

February: 9.9"

Days with at least a trace: 18

Days with measurable snow: 13

Days with at least an inch: 6

On 2/25/2021 at 9:16 PM, Fozz said:

I've got it.

Ev4Sgtt.png

Hey @Fozz, miss you around these parts.  In October, I moved 8 miles northwest into Worthington Valley (west of Oregon Ridge Park), went from 405' to 628' in elevation.  Great guess...around 20" here.  @Eskimo Joe, do you have a snowfall total over your way in Reistertown?

• Thanks 1