Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 16-17, 2020 Storm Observations and Nowcast

wdrag

3 hours ago, weatherpruf said:

Wasn't wet and heavy here Unc. Just across from Port Mobil on the Arthur Kill. Where are you, near the Great Kills to South Beach stretch? That really is by the bay; south shore of the bay i saw Cliffwood Beach in NJ had less than 2 inches; it's 30 mins south of here. Snow wasn't Colorado powdery but light enough to blast through with an electric snow blower. Even some of the large foot + drifts.

How much did you end up with? I had 8 here. Which is a great storm in December for this area 

I forgot to post my final totals before I fell asleep earlier lol. Front half, before the changeover to sleet I received 4.7" and I picked up another 1.6" from the back side of the storm, so overall total is 6.3" of snow. I also got 1.1" of sleet between the 2 layers of snow. Highest wind gust I recorded was exactly 50 mph at around 7 am. Between 5:30 and 7:00 this morning I had near-blizzard conditions with wind consistently gusting into the 40s and moderate to heavy snow

Just now, Intensewind002 said:

I forgot to post my final totals before I fell asleep earlier lol. Front half, before the changeover to sleet I received 4.7" and I picked up another 1.6" from the back side of the storm, so overall total is 6.3" of snow. I also got 1.1" of sleet between the 2 layers of snow. Highest wind gust I recorded was exactly 50 mph at around 7 am. Between 5:30 and 7:00 this morning I had near-blizzard conditions with wind consistently gusting into the 40s and moderate to heavy snow

Your total would be 7.4" then if you didn't count the sleet. Sleet counts in the total too. 

• Thanks 1

A few miles made a huge difference here. I went for a drive and I got right about a foot, 3-4 miles west got at least 4-6" more than I did and 4 miles east is easily 4" less. The combination of elevation and exposure was the determining factor in how much you ended up with. As you go east it drops off pretty quickly and is much more sheltered, west of me you head into the Taconic high country and I live on a standalone hill in between. The sheltering below me sometimes helps in windy storms but not this time and west of me it ramps up and catches the snow when the wind is out of the ENE/NNE for so many hours as does my hill. I went through a few spots along the spine that were easily 16" and the banks along the roads are a foot higher than on my hill while east the snowbanks peter out to almost nothing pretty quickly. Danbury seems to have gotten about the same foot as I did but it's much denser and has set up and compressed down to 6-8" in most places.

The wraparound snow at the end gave me another 1.5-2" and covered up the bare ground and grass that was showing on northeasterly exposures that the sind had scoured clean all night so that was nice. This was a rare storm where my winds stayed out of the ENE/NNE the entire time and they're still persistently staying out of that direction so the temp dropped of quickly. It popped up to 30-32 under bright sun but is down to 22 and dropping fast. 

3 hours ago, Allsnow said:

How much did you end up with? I had 8 here. Which is a great storm in December for this area 

I dont  bother to measure. Perth Amboy recorded 9 and RU in Metuchen measured 8.2 so that looks about right. The sun really  eats it up during the day light and we had full sun very early. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoshSnow said:

Your calls were too low I told you you’ll bust low. You called for 4-8 and snow ski said 3-6 lol

A lot of NJ was in the 3-6 zone though, some areas that had looked to do better. The forecast was off; I don't remember seeing predictions of Binghamton getting 41 inches. But, you were not all that wrong either. Here we didn't get as much; 6-9 in the area, but I don't obsess over totals. It was a nice event, got the snowblowers working, and had some fun for the first time since March and the shutdown. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, crossbowftw3 said:

And the flakes weren’t even flying there until about the same time flakes began closer to where we are. Absolutely nutty. 

While storms don't drop rain or snow uniformly, I am always suspicious of outliers.  All towns near Newark reported 7" or less.

3 hours ago, MJO812 said:

Wow

1.PNG.07b24dc41623293c4baf578aa2af2e88.png

That map is way off for northern Middlesex, where most reports were of 7-9", not 4-6".  I always wondered how they constructed these, since so many "public" reports are crap (especially with the NWS publishing reports from before midnight, which is just dumb given the 2nd round most got).