Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 16-17, 2020 Storm Observations and Nowcast

wdrag

9 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Light snow here currently, good bit of blowing around. Looks like I had about 2” in this back end stuff so far, definite sleet/ice layer in there. Altogether I think I have 7” or so but hard to tell for sure with the blowing. 

Seems about right

32 minutes ago, qg_omega said:

NWS had ablany around a foot in the forecast, some areas NW of albany ending up with 30 inches.  Only the UKMET showed this

fwiw:  I had remarked on banding qpf per multiple models n central PA to near ALB and mentioned 20-25" bullseyes in two states. The EC KUCHERA had 33" idea. 

I've added the northwest transition of the big band originally slated for I84 back to a IPT BGM ALB axis beginning the 00z/15 cycle. About 48 hours LT on a consideration that became much more emphatic with future model cycles. Here's 3 different model samples at various Lead times) (no UK added since the UK is referenced above), and finally the EC consideration on the 12th... too far south but it was this consistently modeled snow amount forecast that helped prompt my confidence for a top 20 event.

Screen Shot 2020-12-17 at 7.41.22 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-17 at 7.41.46 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-17 at 7.43.22 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-17 at 7.44.00 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-12 at 4.48.28 AM.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MJO812 said:

Anyone have been outside yet to shovel in the city ? How is the snowpack?

Light fluffy snow then a layer of sleet then more fluffy snow on top. Its been low to mid 20s the entire time upper Manhattan, Bx. Its been several degrees milder into Queens, BK, so I'd imagine wetter, heavier snow there.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, dWave said:

Light fluffy snow then a layer of sleet then more fluffy snow on top. Its been low to mid 20s the entire time upper Manhattan, Bx. Its been several degrees milder into Queens, BK, so I'd imagine wetter, heavier snow there.

I reached 32 last night while it was sleeting. It is now 25 in  Brooklyn with light now.

Looks like most of Morris County NJ was spared major snowfall.  Some drifts here and there but it's not very deep.  There was high impact to yesterday's evening commute, but nothing significant after about 3 hours of moderate to heavy snow.

This seems like the kind of storm that would have been pretty well forecast locally in the years before model data overload. It was apparent that the mid and upper level synoptics were not ideal for snow as recently as Tuesday. Snowmap overload also doesn't help.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

The 7” or so I have is what’s on a table top behind my house, so possibly could have been a little more which the sleet helped compact overnight, or inflated from blowing. I’ll go with what North Shore WX who does it properly reports lol. Light snow continuing. 

I am not too far from you--in Melville--

Checking my property as well as speaking with a local plow operator seems to indicate about 4 inches on the ground.   Its heavy and icy out there, we did get rain and sleet last night, so I cannot comment on compaction, but we have about 4 inches on the ground now

21.2° and moderate snow.

I haven't been officially to the snowboard yet but it looks like it's at the 11.5 inch mark although I can't tell for sure from inside, so I should make or exceed that foot which was my minimum criteria for this storm.

Okay with it but not ecstatic either. It met the minimum and so far hasn't even passed last December 2nd storm here of 12.0 even.

7 minutes ago, 495weatherguy said:

Checking my property as well as speaking with a local plow operator seems to indicate about 4 inches on the ground.   Its heavy and icy out there, we did get rain and sleet last night, so I cannot comment on compaction, but we have about 4 inches on the ground now

North of you in laurel hollow we have 8in+ (couldn’t get a great measurement)

8 minutes ago, 495weatherguy said:

Interesting. I’ll have to see if I can drive down Rt 110 later and see if/where the snow totals dropped off.