Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December 16-17, 2020 Storm Observations and Nowcast

wdrag

5 minutes ago, HVSnowLover said:

So weird snowing in Brooklyn and sleeting in Westchester, maybe rates? 

Snowgrowth sucks here right now north of HPN. I got wannabe snow coming in as tiny ice pellets. Not heavy at all.  700 layer must be just a tad too warm and dry.

forgot to mention that the wind picked up.  

1 minute ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Just started ripping on the uws. Not a single pinger and I have been outside non stop. Some of the best snow in the area here so far

Yea it's ripping in the UWS and has been at least moderate for several hours now with no pingers. Maybe the intensity has helped to keep us all snow.

Just now, JoshSnow said:

I think That’s a myth bro. The tiniest snow flakes usually means a long lasting snowstorm and a lot of it. If the flakes are big usually means warm air is close

Air being too cold where the flakes form make them like needles and poor/average ratios like 10-1 or a bit lower. I remember numerous snow events in central PA where we had this tiny sand snow that took forever to add up. The best flakes that pile up fast are dendrites that form in -12 to -18C air so for good ratios you look for strong lift and moisture in that layer. The big flakes here are very likely due to them partly melting and aggregating on the way down. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JoshSnow said:

The storm just started to pivot east, mid level warmth should dissipate and the cold air intake will change any sleet to snow momentarily throughout the region. Pinging may occur throughout Long Island now. Sleet reports in western jersey should change to snow followed by New York City and finally again Long Island could get another 2 inches at the back end around 4am or so. 

It’s going to get warmer before it cools back down