Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 16-17, 2020 Storm Observations and Nowcast

wdrag

1 minute ago, jm1220 said:

The sleet areas in NJ look more like splotches that get washed out rather than a solid line. Not sure if it's solid sleet everywhere out there? Maybe snow/sleet mix mainly.

Yep that’s what I was saying. It’s scattered and gets washed away. NAM hinted at this, getting some of these splotches all the way up to the Hudson valley.

4 minutes ago, weathermedic said:

As per Steve D (nynjpaweather) Twitter feed: The 925 MB low has formed slightly south and east of my expectation to the point where I can say look to the high end of the storm forecast for this storm. Many locations will over perform

Well I don't care for the guy but he is a trained met and knows more than me ( about weather, and I'll leave it at that ) so I would give that great weight....

5 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

Hmmm...yet there's sleet in Hillsborough to your west. And Piscataway to your east. Raritan river effect? or closer to the Watchungs maybe....

I'm pretty surprised, we are usually one of the first to change over.  We are basically at sea level here, so usually pretty different than the higher elevation just a mile or so away.

• Like 1

Just now, JoshSnow said:

It’s a colder than modeled storm. I was never even supposed to be in the 20’s. I’m at 23 degrees in the Bronx! It’s definitely not going to rain that’s all I know!

There might be a crazy coastal front later as the surface low gets near us. Some models bring Montauk up to the mid 40s. 

• Like 1