Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December 16-17, 2020 Winter Storm Obs/Nowcasting

WxUSAF

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

@PhineasC not juiced enough...

Been chatting with the BGM NWS office overnight. They got 5, that's FIVE inches in one hour, midnight to 1 am. The deformation band is pivoting, but Binghamton is right smack in the middle at the pivot point. They'll end up over 30" for sure.

Screenshot_20201217-024916_RadarScope.jpg

• Like 3

Man, that could have been us. Crazy how far north that ended up though. Nowhere even remotely close to where it was modeled for days and days.

I must have missed most of that last band. I had mostly sleet on the cleared surfaces with maybe a dusting of snow on top of that.

The Euro and the NAM were awful with low placement, but the thermals were pretty good. They had the 850s getting too warm well into PA and that was accurate. If anything, they still underdid that. The HRRR did a terrible job timing the changeover (it was way earlier than it said), but did a better job showing the backside stuff as sleet and not snow and hardly accumulating for my area. Euro definitely gave me way too much with that.

• Sad 1

I was pretty sure yesterday morning that DCA would end up with only a trace - it always, always underperforms in snow events. Just 16" in the 2016 storm when everywhere else in the immediate area was two feet or greater. I wonder if the location only got 16 inches during the Knickerbocker storm that dumped 28 inches at 24th & M.

6 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Looks like a HECS for many areas in the northeast . 

20F 

Best I can tell is I got a bit more after I measured last night at 1230am 

I'll call it 3.3" new 

10.3 " storm 

One to remember 

Tough shoveling this sleet in the middle.  

I got 14-16” or so in Lewisburg PA and that’s with the mega band setting up shop to my north. The totals out there thru NY will be crazy

• Like 1

Just now, losetoa6 said:

20"-40" reports in Pennsylvania and NY . Record book territory for sure .

Visiting my parents house in the Hudson valley, pretty nice storm here but looks like we’re just south of the area that got nuked.  Maybe 10-12 inches here with a lot of drifting.  I brought my snowshoes and hiking gear, gonna drive up to the Catskills and play in the deep powder tomorrow. 

• Like 7

After it turned back to snow I went to bed it turned to heavy sleet when I got upstairs...still looks like an inch or so extra because I cleared the steps and driveway and both are solidly covered. Fun storm...not sure my location change got me more or less snow....but it did get me a good dinner and company :wub:

5" total snow/sleet

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

Visiting my parents house in the Hudson valley, pretty nice storm here but looks like we’re just south of the area that got nuked.  Maybe 10-12 inches here with a lot of drifting.  I brought my snowshoes and hiking gear, gonna drive up to the Catskills and play in the deep powder tomorrow. 

Albany is under that death band right now. Just FaceTimed with my buddy - UNREAL. 5” per hour rates 

5 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

After it turned back to snow I went to bed it turned to heavy sleet when I got upstairs...still looks like an inch or so extra because I cleared the steps and driveway and both are solidly covered. Fun storm...not sure my location change got me more or less snow....but it did get me a good dinner and company :wub:

5" total snow/sleet

Not too shabby man! Glad you got to enjoy some good company <3

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8" plus another 2" after sleet/zr slop.  Impressive mess to clean up.

Woke up to another surprise!  Widowmaker maple tree left us a gift in the yard and fortunately it came up short of blocking the lane.

I don't mind storm cleanup this time of the year, I'd rather be shivering as I warmup into the workout then sweating like a pig in mid August with 75 dews LOL!

32 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

20"-40" reports in Pennsylvania and NY . Record book territory for sure . Models did a good job sniffing these big totals. Exact Placement changed around but the idea of a historical storm has been there for days. 

Binghamton already has three different reports of over 40” on their local storm report.  Awesome stuff.

• Weenie 1

5 hours ago, WxMan1 said:

Been chatting with the BGM NWS office overnight. They got 5, that's FIVE inches in one hour, midnight to 1 am. The deformation band is pivoting, but Binghamton is right smack in the middle at the pivot point. They'll end up over 30" for sure.

I checked out their hourly obs - 0.40 for that hour, and they got 0.35 and 0.36 for the next two hours!  Can you imagine.  And all while in the mid teens.

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic