Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December 16-17, 2020 Winter Storm Obs/Nowcasting

WxUSAF

I’m in Perry ,WV  15 miles west of Woodstock ,VA and I 81 and I’m at 2200’  
Temp has help between 22 and 24 all day. 9” earlier then snow stopped three hours ago then we got a half inch of sleet. Now back to heavy snow with 2” additional. 
I hope it keeps going for a couple more hours. 

• Like 2

Well I don’t think we can say the euro handled this storm very well. Didn’t it have the low almost in Baltimore? It’s gonna be off the coast of MD/Del.

Gotta really give the NAM some props on this. It also had the smaller low over East Tn and that’s exactly what happened.

GFS didn’t either IMO

• Like 3

1 minute ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Well I don’t think we can say the euro handled this storm very well. Didn’t it have the low almost in Baltimore? It’s gonna be off the coast of MD/Del.

Gotta really give the NAM some props on this. It also had the smaller low over East Tn and that’s exactly what happened.

Agree and the NAM did a nice job with mid level thermal profiles. As usual. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

GFS didn’t either IMO

Euro's low location was awful but it flooded the midlevels with warmth up into PA and did a good job nailing that.

2 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

Really impressed with the staying power of the snow.  At least .75” liquid on top of 1.5” of snow and it is largely still around.  There is still snow on our lighter colored car (not the darker one).

Agree - the ground was not all THAT cold, but just cold enough.  Got down to 25 here last night just NW of Vienna, which helped.  Got almost 2" today before the flip to rain with only marginal sleet.  Much of the snow still remains, albeit the yard is a water logged swamp of mush.  

Max temp never got above 33F all day - we're just far enough away from Tyson's to be out of the immediate UHI effect, but not far enough...  Back down to 31 now with the wind shift out of the NW, and still raining.  If the band inbound from the SW holds, maybe the rates and mixing can change over to sn to give everyone a nice coating on top.  

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic