Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 16-17, 2020 Winter Storm Obs/Nowcasting

WxUSAF

2 minutes ago, high risk said:

It's the "new" GFS, but it has the old physics, so I suspect that its inability to capture mid-level warm layers remains.

I’m not doubting it but I thought they changed the core when they upgraded to the FV3 version.  Being non hydrostatic v the old GFS you would think the physics have to be different. Yet it has some of the same weaknesses from what I’ve see so far. Makes me wonder if there is something in the methodology or data assimilation of NCEP behind it. 

6 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Thanks. I'm not really on social media other than here lol. 

Mby forecast is for 8"-14" total storm . I feel 75% confident 

I'm gonna go more conservative and reduce my totals from yesterday. I'll say 6-10 with 12 being max potential. Unfortunately I think the mix period last longer and hurts chances for 12+. 

• Sad 2

Just now, HighStakes said:

I'm gonna go more conservative and reduce my totals from yesterday. I'll say 6-10 with 12 being max potential. Unfortunately I think the mix period last longer and hurts chances for 12+. 

Thinking the same for me here. 6-10 instead it 10-16 like I was thinking 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

I'm out 522N of winchester.  A bit NW of lake holiday. 

29 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

He moved from a snow hole to a beatdown zone. :)

Really glad to hear, and I hope all you westerners and northerners end up with double digit totals.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I’m not doubting it but I thought they changed the core when they upgraded to the FV3 version.  Being non hydrostatic v the old GFS you would think the physics have to be different. Yet it has some of the same weaknesses from what I’ve see so far. Makes me wonder if there is something in the methodology or data assimilation of NCEP behind it. 

As you noted, the core was changed, but most of the actual physics (except for the microphysics) were retained.    I think that the PBL scheme plays a role in these warm layer cases.

3 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

What are you thinking out our way?  Didn't think we would be fighting the mix line but it looks as if we may be.

I've thought all along this could be an 8-12" storm for us.  12-18" seems high in spite of the models consistently printing out those big totals.  Nearly everything would have to go right to get there IMO. 

I expect to see sleet for a while with the heaviest precip tomorrow evening, but hopefully not for a long duration.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

No but in January with a colder airmass and less scolding water temps the low likely doesn’t track as far west. 

Won't debate that. Just saying there is more wrong with this storm now than the airmass. There is cold air around to tap. It isn't like it's 32 degrees in New England and Upstate NY right now.  The track is just putrid for the I-95 corridor.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, high risk said:

As you noted, the core was changed, but most of the actual physics (except for the microphysics) were retained.    I think that the PBL scheme plays a role in these warm layer cases.

Ah new peramiterization same flawed math. I kid of course. If not for the euro the gfs would be the gold standard.   

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ErinInTheSky said:

Yeah.

I mean, there are ensemble members that shut us all out, and there are ensemble members that look like the GFS 3 days ago.

It’s a tough call, gonna come down to a few miles. I don’t envy the tv meteorologists seems like pitchforks either way. I think we really need to cash in on a front end thump and hope for any backend snow as icing.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic