Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 16-17, 2020 Winter Storm Obs/Nowcasting

WxUSAF

Just now, pazzo83 said:

i got caught in thundersleet once on a jog in NYC - it was NOT fun.  i remember running by another runner - we were the only people out - and we both looked at each other like, "something is deeply wrong with us lol"

Grew up and lived in Rockland County NY (new city) for 30+ years. We had some EPIC thunder sleet during events over the years. Can still hear that pinging on my folks clunky metal 1980s AC window unit if I think about it. We used to get a lot of nor’easters where we’d see 3-6 inch snow on the front end followed by buckets of sleet and IR as the more elevated locations 20 min to my NW near bear mountain saw 2 feet.  

1 minute ago, HighStakes said:

Very tough forecast. I like your bar. After last year a 4-8 storm is a great way to kick off winter.

Absolutely! I’ll be happy with whatever falls. Gonna be hard to swallow through when you’re all snow the whole time while I sleet ;) 

• Like 1

Final Forecast for Posterity (Most likely in parentheses)

BWI: 2-4” (3”) 

DC: 2-3” (2”)

IAD up to leesburg 4-6” (leaning 4“)

FDK: 6-10” (8”) 

Westminster: 5-8 (6”)

HGR as well as OKV (Winchester): 10-15, closer to 10 at HGR, closer to 12 near Winchester 

Thinking a decent WAA slug and do like the short term trends on early arrivals on mesos. Our dews/obs as well as the current 850 scheme look respectable. Overall, I’m not bullish on backside love, but it’s gotten a lot more respect and the 0z GFS brings it very close to the M/D folk. There could be serious sleet with some actual accums thanks to the warm layer at the 750-800mb level N/W of 695 out on the 70 corridor (namely Hunt Valley to Eldersburg to Westminster to Frederick). These folks are going to stay below 32 (likely sub 30) most of the storm and the warm nose is elevated enough the low level cold will make Sleet much more a threat than any possible ZR. These are also the places most likely to get 1-2” on the backside with the potential for more if the chips fall correctly. 

Mix lane stops just shy of Winchester and HGR. 

1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

I'm cool with an extended sleet bomb here. Been years since we have had a good one. Let's go for it, better than rain. I think if this thing is going to over-perform near the cities, it will take that form. More sleet, less rain.

PD3 was mostly a sleet bomb for me in C'ville back in '03.  I guess one of the good things is it sticks around for a while.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I think warning-level snow is still in the cards for you. But there will be a period of mixed crap in the middle. It will just last for a shorter period of time in your backyard than near DC, where it will be the majority of the storm. But the evolution of the day will be the same for everyone. Snow, to mix, then back to snow. Just adjust the length of the intervals, factor in a potential dry slot, and take terrain into account. 

And I can assure you I am not jealous of your snowstorm. My new house averages 185" a year and is sitting at 2 degrees with 10 inches OTG right now. LOL

Woah, woah. No one’s talking about jealousy over snowstorms my friend. We aren’t children. I went to college in Buffalo NY and lived there for roughly 18 months after I graduated from UB. I grew up in the northeast, so I definitely understand big snows as well. Used to see 3-4-5” per hour lake effect thunder snow bands, on the regular... I miss it. which is why I’m so excited to finally have a shot at warning level snowfall. It’s not about comparing backyards, I assure you :)  Just happy to track something. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I'm cool with an extended sleet bomb here. Been years since we have had a good one. Let's go for it, better than rain. I think if this thing is going to over-perform near the cities, it will take that form. More sleet, less rain.

Inclined to agree. Decent CAD in place with a storm tracking to the south - albeit closer to the coast than many of us east of 81 would like.  Don’t see rain being a factor for points north and west of Baltimore. Sleet bomb impending. 

13 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

New WSW just dropped at 10:30. Still going with 12-18 for the 81 corridor. Sticking with the GFS and Euro I suppose. 

Euro has better totals out your way. Gfs hasn’t had anywhere close to 18” in multiple runs. Given the warm air push and soundings I’ve been looking at all night, don’t see how you make it past 12”. I’d say 8-12” but either way it’s going to be a good event for you. Enjoy natures best show on earth 

10 minutes ago, jayyy said:

Woah, woah. No one’s talking about jealousy over snowstorms my friend. We aren’t children. I went to college in Buffalo NY and lived there for roughly 18 months after I graduated from UB. I grew up in the northeast, so I definitely understand big snows as well. Used to see 3-4-5” per hour lake effect thunder snow bands, on the regular... I miss it. which is why I’m so excited to finally have a shot at warning level snowfall. It’s not about comparing backyards, I assure you :)  Just happy to track something. 

Camaraderie time is over.  It's a dick swinging contest now.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 13
  • Weenie 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic