Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 16-17, 2020 Winter Storm Obs/Nowcasting

WxUSAF

1 minute ago, Zdudswx said:

Backend snow looks great ok 3k too! It has been on all the mesos and the gfs 

Backend action is not something you can count on but when it happens you are pleasantly surprised to get a couple inches of love.... Probably something they tell new prisoners.  

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, nj2va said:

That’s a good map, might need to bump the 1” line NW closer to SE DC but nice job overall.  Enjoy the storm.

Agreed. Only thing i’d MAYBE change is the pocket near HoCo up to North Baltimore county... they could see more than 2-4 on the WAA thump alone 

7 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

Hey brother.  Nice to see you post.  It’s supposed to snow then sleet then rain then snow.  If you weren’t tracking it. 

I have been lurking for the last 5 days.  I mowed my grass extra tight this weekend in preparation for our 2 inches. I don't want a single blade of grass showing by 4 pm tomorrow.  There is an unopened bottle of bourbon waiting to celebrate an over performer or to help forget an under performer.  Salute!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, jayyy said:

Agreed. Only thing i’d MAYBE change is the pocket near HoCo up to North Baltimore county... they could see more than 2-4 on the WAA thump alone 

If there’s a good WAA thump more like hrrr, euro, or gfs I could get 2-4” from that alone. Add in the backside band could put down another 1-3” and I’m looking at warning criteria. Or if the WAA craps out before thermal profile goes to hell and the backside doesn’t happen I’m left with a dusting of sleet.

• Like 1

My final call:snowing:
Best of luck everyone! :snowman:
2B3D2572-6748-47BD-BB9B-9FEFC75E2099.jpeg.e8801f837c26b0f2e5ebff736f512b1e.jpeg

I don’t think that the sleet ends up cutting into the snow totals once the column cools due to convection as this thing begins to wrap. I think these models are overplaying the mixing zone. It won’t be this broad. Otherwise nice job!

It's like rolling the dice, except the dice are more stacked against you with every mile east you are. 

I suppose I'll be happy if I have any snow on the ground when this thing is done. It will be more thrilling to see what kind of whacky weather this thing creates. Obs will be fun tomorrow.

Good luck everyone. May the weather gods of low pressure surface tracks be with you. 

1 minute ago, csnavywx said:

There's going to be a LOT of sleet with a warm nose/WCB of that strength. May also be some embedded thunder with those soundings showing a narrow ribbon of conditional upright instability getting entrained aloft.

TSIP?  Imagine that 

There's going to be a LOT of sleet with a warm nose/WCB of that strength. May also be some embedded thunder with those soundings showing a narrow ribbon of conditional upright instability getting entrained aloft.

Literally the opposite of what I expect after heading into the overnight wed. Mixing over to snow as this thing tucks.

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

Man. The 3k is even better. We might mix for less than an hour with sleet. But the soundings before and after that are beautiful. 

We're either going to be very disappointed or very happy come the early morning hours of Thursday. I have no idea which one it will be and were like 12 hours from the first flakes.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jayyy said:

Used to live by benson branch park, right off Triadelphia road. About 10 mins from turf valley

dont hold me to it, but I think you’ll do better than 2-4”

Oh, I’ll bet that was a good spot!! Howard county seems to have a decent amount of varying elevation. 

Folks down off Main St. or near Oella won’t fair nearly as well as those out off 108, Folly quarter, glen elg area etc. 

I’m hoping you’re right though. I’ll be happy with anything more than a few inches and some moderate/heavy snow falling 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic