Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 16-17, 2020 Winter Storm Obs/Nowcasting

WxUSAF

8 minutes ago, TowsonWeather said:

At what point does it start to sink in that maybe it's not everyone else that has an issue...maybe (just maybe) it's you?

Your knowledge and insight is clearly greatly appreciated. But your delivery veers between abrupt, condescending and dismissive in a way that seems almost calculated to annoy. Communicating and engaging with others is a critical skill to have on a public message board - especially when you have so much to offer in terms of expertise. 

Very well then I will be leaving the American weather forum. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Been dark about 40 minutes and temp has dropped 3 degrees to 36.5/22

Dont  worry about the thin clouds holding temps up, the 30.35 high and n-nw light breezes are controlling. 

We are probably going to be 32/25 at event start time and drop to 29/30 with the evap. I don’t think freezing rain will be an issue. I think honestly it’s just too hard to tell what’s going to happen between 1-9pm but I do think by 9 it’s all snow for DC and north and west . 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mappy said:

maybe so, but that's how it goes. Watches go up first to get people's attention, then they either go to a warning or advisory depending on what's to come for each local. If you are a southerner expecting a warning, you're just silly. 

I still really think we make better than many expect.. it is just a hunch.. no real scientific justification.. I just think temps fall on the low side and everyone is surprised. The disappointing part is that we have had so many decrements over each model run, now a break in the right direction means like 4 inches for me down here in Catonsville.  I guess I should be happy if that happens.

1 minute ago, 40westwx said:

I still really think we make better than many expect.. it is just a hunch.. no real scientific justification.. I just temps fall on the low side and everyone is surprised. The disappointing part is that we have had so many decrements over each model run, now a break in the right direction means like 4 inches for me down here in Catonsville.  I guess I should be happy if that happens.

I agree. It isn't like models haven't been wrong before. Especially when there is a 50 mile margin hanging in the balance. That's like asking models to predict a 50 mile wide bullseye for a  hurricane to hit 12 - 24 hours out. Could it happen? Yes. But the low could also scoot 50 miles further east when it matters most. It ain't over until the low is north of Philly!

3 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Or...and hear me out...don't leave and just adjust your delivery?   This isn't a binary choice here.

Good point there. I’m not the best at reading people through text and social media. It’s often a challenge to communicate with it. Tough to read people this way, maybe I’m more old school. I can be brash and bold but for my line of work I have to be, but for here it’s different...these are not people making decisions to evacuate a coast line or deploy to a disaster where I need to be bold and hit a point home. This is more a hobby. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 6

2 minutes ago, CAPE said:

I will be sure to post my cold rain obs, mild rain obs, and back to cold rains obs, with maybe a sleet pellet or a snowflake mixed in at the end! See it could always be worse than what ya get in your yard. Hoping for a mega dry slot!

I would actually love to see the dry slot rather than 1-2 inches of cold rain; the state of my yard is, and pretty much has been for several months, a quagmire. Elevation here in southwestern Kent County MD is 16.69 feet and the Chesapeake Bay water doesn't help it snow, ever. I'll hopefully see more tomorrow than the .3 of slush that I recorded all last winter. lol                                                                               Good luck all!

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic