Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December 16-17, 2020 Winter Storm Obs/Nowcasting

WxUSAF

2 minutes ago, ers-wxman1 said:

There should be a special mute function just for you. Perhaps charm school would help. 

I see. I asked a simple question and you did not give me an proper answer. "Sure" doesn't work. If you want people to be more respectful to you, you need to be more respectful to them too. :) 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, yoda said:

Eastern Loudoun and Northwestern Montgomery and Northwest Howard were added to WSW... everyone else in the WSWatch went to WWA -- including DC metro

Text:

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 7 AM WEDNESDAY TO 4 AM EST
THURSDAY...

* WHAT...Heavy mixed precipitation expected. Total snow and sleet
accumulations of 3 to 6 inches and ice accumulations of up to
one tenth of an inch.

* WHERE...In Maryland, Northwest Montgomery and Northwest Howard
Counties. In Virginia, Eastern Loudoun County.

* WHEN...From 7 AM Wednesday to 4 AM EST Thursday. Snow will
overspread the area between 9 and 11 AM. Snow will change over
to a mixture of sleet and freezing rain during the afternoon.

• Like 1

Just now, nj2va said:

3k is almost identical to the Euro out here.  1.6” QPF, all snow - Kuchera with 20-22”.  

Some models have the banding extending down from PA into western MD...hope that happens.

Just heard my fiancee singing "Walking in a Winter Wonderland" in the kitchen and I said "you know, we could go up to deep creek and you could see a real winter wonderland tomorrow?". 15 minutes later it looks like we are going to hop in the car after dinner and head out to my future in-laws' place. Never thought I'd be able to convince her to travel for snow

• Like 8
  • Weenie 1

5 minutes ago, mappy said:

I see. I asked a simple question and you did not give me an proper answer. "Sure" doesn't work. If you want people to be more respectful to you, you need to be more respectful to them too. :) 

You are rude to me with everything! I answered your question with the first explanation! 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, umdterps29 said:

Just heard my fiancee singing "Walking in a Winter Wonderland" in the kitchen and I said "you know, we could go up to deep creek and you could see a real winter wonderland tomorrow?". 15 minutes later it looks like we are going to hop in the car after dinner and head out to my future in-laws' place. Never thought I'd be able to convince her to travel for snow

Nice!  Grab some food at Moon Shadow while out there!

• Like 1

Just now, ers-wxman1 said:

You are rude to me with everything! I answered your question with the first explanation! 

I haven't been rude with you at all. I asked a question, "above 850?" and you said "sure". That's not an answer and even after I asked for more information you decided to get cheeky with me suggesting I need a mute feature. That won't get you very far with me, sir.

I guess LWX wanted to note the prospect of freezing rain...

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Baltimore MD/Washington DC
400 PM EST Tue Dec 15 2020

DCZ001-VAZ054-160500-
/O.NEW.KLWX.WW.Y.0014.201216T1500Z-201217T0600Z/
District of Columbia-Arlington/Falls Church/Alexandria-
400 PM EST Tue Dec 15 2020

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 10 AM WEDNESDAY TO 1 AM
EST THURSDAY...

* WHAT...Mixed precipitation expected. Total snow and sleet accumulations
  of 1 to 2 inches. A light glaze of ice is also possible on
  elevated surfaces.

* WHERE...In District of Columbia, District of Columbia. In
  Virginia, Arlington/Falls Church/Alexandria.

* WHEN...From 10 AM Wednesday to 1 AM EST Thursday. Snow will
  overspread the area between 9 and 11 AM, and change to sleet and
  rain during the early afternoon. Some rain may freeze on
  elevated surfaces.

* IMPACTS...Plan on slippery road conditions. The hazardous
  conditions could impact the evening commute.

Point-and-click (and the WSW) would suggest I've got a better shot at having fun/seeing snow in Charlottesville... but I think I'm too lazy to make the drive to see maybe an extra 1-2" with a crusty top. Feel like the boom odds might be slightly better in Arlington anyways. That's what I'm telling myself, at least.

Never got quite as warm today as it was supposed to -- missed the high by about 3 degrees.

38/22.

4 minutes ago, mappy said:

I haven't been rude with you at all. I asked a question, "above 850?" and you said "sure". That's not an answer and even after I asked for more information you decided to get cheeky with me suggesting I need a mute feature. That won't get you very far with me, sir.

I really am sad for you and empathize with your situation because your abrasive ness is like fire ants under the skin. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Just now, mappy said:

Thanks. @DDweatherman posted a similar plot. 

So even with good rates, no enough space for it to go back to snow again before getting to the surface? (I'm grasping at straws, I hate sleet)

Well that's just per this one sounding, but if we have a nose like that, it's tougher to erode than something in the lower levels. PSU, I wasn't up here yet. Remind me how our area did in 3/2017? I know LWX had Westminster in 12-18 and the storm didn't quite produce haha

2 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Point-and-click (and the WSW) would suggest I've got a better shot at having fun/seeing snow in Charlottesville... but I think I'm too lazy to make the drive to see maybe an extra 1-2" with a crusty top. Feel like the boom odds might be slightly better in Arlington anyways. That's what I'm telling myself, at least.

Never got quite as warm today as it was supposed to -- missed the high by about 3 degrees.

38/22.

Might as well embrace the fail!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DDweatherman said:

Well that's just per this one sounding, but if we have a nose like that, it's tougher to erode than something in the lower levels. PSU, I wasn't up here yet. Remind me how our area did in 3/2017? I know LWX had Westminster in 12-18 and the storm didn't quite produce haha

That makes sense. 

I remember that March 2017 storm. Got some snow before a big thump of sleet. yippee. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic