Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 16-17, 2020 Winter Storm Obs/Nowcasting

WxUSAF

28 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

... For example..on the euro there is a time about 3z when the low is literally on the east side of Baltimore and yet its snowing here.  ...

jeez.. this tells me that thermals were always one our side for this.. even in the middle of January and a big arctic high, we would still get dry slotted and drizzle... 

15 minutes ago, mappy said:

If LWX is going to update, they will do it in the afternoon package (3pm or so). I imagine areas under Watches right now will go to advisories later tonight. They do not update based on model runs and their schedules. NWS Offices update at certain times every day. :) 

going from a watch to an advisory is the kiss of death... 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Winter Wizard said:

I'm not sure if this was ever mentioned in this forum, but this always struck me as a red flag that there would be an adjustment northwest. Goes to show you how subtle changes to features in the atmosphere have significant implications downstream.

https://twitter.com/JackSillin/status/1338116171011395585?s=20

Someone did mention it the other night... saying it need to slow down or enter the WC at a higher latitude.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Not sure how it will translate but looks like an improvement at first glance

It is...we got the trend we need for a late save...no more further westward adjustment to the track...and a continuation of the better mid level close/pass to promote a tightly wound system by cutting off the easterlies sooner.  A more tightly wound synced up "phased" system at all levels will cut off the easterlies to the west of the low center and prevent that warm layer from blasting as far inland... But like i said we need the west trend of the track to stop for that to matter...if we can keep the track east of us AND get that trend to continue we could save a decent outcome here.  Maybe no Ji level win but something most of us would take right now.  

• Like 6

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic