• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
any one have the la crosse weather system model 79400

i got the la crosse 79400 weather station and it send out the wind speed and direction about every 30 seconds. but i would like to get it to send the data out a bit faster. what happens is the wind lets say is trending from the west. then it buffets from the east and the station see that blip and about that time it send me that direction. so what is happening is i see the wind from a different direction than what is is actually trending from. la crosse says it can't be done but there must be some kind to timer  in the station that triggers the refresh rate. maybe a resistor or with luck a pot. my guess is they worry the battery will not keep up and the solar panel will not be able to recharge the battery, however i can put the station on a power supply if needed.  thanks

• 1 month later...

ok did not get much for a reply so maybe this is not a good unit. however i did get one and after a lot of testing i got the vane to stabilize more than i expected. it is not perfect but it hold direction now to be inside of say west and west north west. or north and north east etc.  

what i did was take the factory wind vane off and i made my own design wind vane. it is adjustable for balance and made of stainless tubing. and no pointer plus a larger than normal fin. if any interest let me know i will send a picture of what i have.

because my system sets  like 25' to the east side of a bunch of trees  that sets up turbulence, or what some call eddie currents and sometime those wip the vane around but it returns fast to the prevailing wind direction.  what i  may do in the warmer weather is take it down and build a tail that is shaped like a plane tail fins so the wind has to curve around the tail and maybe that will hold it better in those currents.  also i have been thinking of using a blaa for the tail to see if that holds better? your ideas on that? thanks bp.