Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December 16-17, 2020 Winter Storm

Ralph Wiggum

4 minutes ago, RedSky said:

It sure does, sleet like Russian tank

the cool thing is 3 inches of sleet will last a really long time, I would argue it would last longer than 1 foot of snow. All that compact ice will not go away easily. Go big or go home right. If we are going to get sleet might as well get as much sleet as possible. Still would be cool.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SnowLover22 said:

the cool thing is 3 inches of sleet will last a really long time, I would argue it would last longer than 1 foot of snow. All that compact ice will not go away easily. Go big or go home right. If we are going to get sleet might as well get as much sleet as possible. Still would be cool.

Valentine's Day 07(it's either 07 or 08 I can't remember) is a storm I'll never forget. 3-6" of cement sleet followed by 2 weeks of cold that made it a solid glacier. That year sucked for snow, we had another big sleet storm that March, but it was the most solid "snowpack" I ever remember. Lasted longer than some of our historic blizzards.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, SnowLover22 said:

By far....several inches of sleet would last till mid March. (kidding of course but a damn long time unless we blow torch)

All I want to know is who touched their dang snow blower? But seriously we should all know better to get sucked in  to these fantasy  storms, but It's what we do  lets just keep our fingers crossed they don't all end up like this one, Ill take 6-10 with some sleet but still holding out hope for some better trends later. 

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

3 minutes ago, penndotguy said:

All I want to know is who touched their dang snow blower? But seriously we should all know better to get sucked in  to these fantasy  storms, but It's what we do  lets just keep our fingers crossed they don't all end up like this one, Ill take 6-10 with some sleet but still holding out hope for some better trends later. 

I'm too young to purchase a snow blower or at least that's what I keep telling myself... Bought a new shovel over the weekend though. Could of been the kiss of death :lol: 

• Haha 2
  • Weenie 1

This may not be a totally bad thing if this thing heads off somewhere else.

I have been involved with emergency management at the county, state and federal levels for almost 30 years. Our agency is now directly involved with a logistical mission that easily rivals D-Day (less the ships) that include 10’s of thousands of trucks loads/last mile deliveries, over a thousand aircrews on hundreds of aircraft, regular army, reserve units and national guard units along with state and county assets all orchestrated 24/7 to delivering vaccines to the MidAtlantic NE region front line workers and first responders most at risk. The delays this storm will cause will be monumental. If this thing ends up dry slotting here and dumping somewhere else it may actually save lives locally. Having to re-task guard units, local assets and reroute aircraft and trucks will take a week or more to recover from. Truth is, these storms cause serious injury and deaths to older or more health challenged citizens, neighbors and family members during a “normal year”, this year especially with CO-19 the challenges have multiplied exponentially. Maybe we should hope for a nice warm rainy winter this year.

We receive our briefings from NWS and two private services. The private services have been spot-on, early-on during the majority of heavy weather events and even with their tropical discussions (I am not permitted to divulge specifics, but both services were bearish on the actually snow accumulations in Metro Philly since Sunday). I learn much more here. Although they will answer specific questions, they have neither the time nor inclination to teach even fundamental meteorology. Some of the folks here are amazing - insights, discussions, explanations are incredibly helpful to me when I’m involved with one of our briefs. Keep up the awesome work, you guys should get paid for this. Stay Safe / Stay Healthy!

• Like 3
  • Weenie 1

Sleet of course does accumulate and counts as snow just a heck of lot slower to accumulate...and shovel LOL! 

WXSIM now clearly seeing the IP mixing occurring - currently with 12z GFS and NAM it has S+ for NW Chesco by 230pm with a turn to heavy IP by 530pm - with 3" of snow at that point then it shows the heavy IP accumulating an additional 1.5" of snow/IP by 1130pm over a 6 hour period....then back to S+ till 6am with total snow accumulation of 13.2"

13 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

How in the hell is the L that far west? That just jumped...

west.jpg

The 6Z GFS that I had posted seemed to show something like that.  That is why I was confused.  The wild thing was that verbatim, it started out looking like a Miller A setup with a low forming in the Gulf and cutting across and heading up the coast from the south and then that sortof fades away and suddenly something started coming across from the OH valley and "jumped" out to the coast, like a Miller B. :blink:

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_fh6-78-12152020.gif

6 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

I take full responsibility. I saw once the thread was started in the Mid Atl forum it began to unravel for them. I should have known better.  The second I started one for us things began to unravel here. Not sure if they started one in the other PA forum. 

100% truth bro