Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 16/17 Winter Event

MN Transplant

8 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Can a met or someone smarter than me explain what the hell happened during this 6 hour period?

500hvv.us_ma.png

500hvv.us_ma.png

This is the 500 low and lift depiction. Noted this in a post earlier. Ideal for us would be a deepening 500 low closing off just to our south and phasing. Above is a progressive low, good forcing but strung out and best lift to our north. Not ideal for a good column.

• Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, ers-wxman1 said:

This is the 500 low and lift depiction. Noted this in a post earlier. Ideal for us would be a deepening 500 low closing off just to our south and phasing. Above is a progressive low, good forcing but strung out and best lift to our north. Not ideal for a good column.

Thank you!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Warm Nose said:

@ers-wxman1 Your earlier comments about the relative strength of the cold airmass make sense to me. This just doesn't seem to have the strength of arctic cold that we need for this close a track to hold for any length of time.

Very marginal airmass, shallow, and it retreats quickly. So the maps might show the wedge all the way into Georgia, but knife deep, not much reinforcing cold to the north. Nothing aloft to reinforce the cold.

heavy precipitation also has latent heat release which warms the column as well. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, PivotPoint said:

Hrdps stops here but nice deform band, possible follow-up on the back side for dc area. Maybe not a lot but decent run. Still a lot more to come for norther folks after this, obviously  

image.thumb.png.d0b9971e935e260fa1574d79b2b262e1.png

More to come for northerns, perhaps wrap around or trailing follow-up

image.thumb.png.532258a77cce88e06d55ab779c53faf1.png

Gem products shifted west and warmer this cycle. That’s all I’m taking away. 

3 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

What specifically in the guidance should we be looking for to determine the depth and reinforcing potential from a Canadian high?

Source region of the cold airmass, extent of the cold air, depth of freezing layer, are we drawing from a true arctic airmass, wind direction...how long we hold onto the airmass etc. if we are filtering air from single digit temps with dry dews then cold air hangs in longer etc. this air mass starts around 30, not much room. 

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, BTRWx's Thanks Giving said:

From Mike Thomas: " For what it's worth, long range HRRR gets about 80% of the storm now and has heavy snow to sleet in DC and not full transition to rain. 0z GFS was a mix/rain dud for DC though. NWS did not change much. "

Ok, but the HRRR has been running stupidly cold for winter precip events at longer ranges.     For today's cold rain, a couple of the longer range runs had 4-6" through the DC area.

• Like 2

Just now, high risk said:

Ok, but the HRRR has been running stupidly cold for winter precip events at longer ranges.     For today's cold rain, a couple of the longer range runs had 4-6" through the DC area.

This is entertaining 

2DC09314-C3EC-43F4-919E-5821DE0A0FCA.jpeg

• Weenie 2

19 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Gem products shifted west and warmer this cycle. That’s all I’m taking away. 

LP track did shift a bit west. But I feel like the thermal profiles didn’t really shift west with it like I thought. Making me feel like the slight track shift is having a marginal effect. Maybe the fact the system is becoming more progressive means less warm air is advected at 850/925 with no rapid deepening like earlier runs?

29 minutes ago, baltosquid said:

Totals actually are worse on the 00z Canadian despite what's going on with the surface temps. Low gets into the Chesapeake and 850's get too warm Wednesday evening, heaviest snow is lost for I95.

If CMC is correct this has all the makings of a bust From DC to PHI and Burbs.   NYC will get a good thump but even there they will have sleet and a dryslot and struggle to make the low end of whatever ridiculously high range the NWS gives.. This looks exactly like most Non-megalopolis storms.   Death band State College to Scranton to Albany to Concord.  

H7ePhbG.png

L4Wy0oY.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DDweatherman said:

The Canadian is a total beatdown W of 95 for a lot of folks. Track is actually W of GFS (questionable double barrel look), but much better thermal profiles. 

LOL at the GFS vs the Canadian for upstate New York... they hundreds of miles apart... I feel like the GFS is wrong in general

• WxUSAF unpinned and locked this topic