Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 16/17 Winter Event

MN Transplant

1 hour ago, ovechkin said:

Thanks. :)

Maybe I will. Will try to bring good luck. We need everything to go right in every storm yet PHL just 120 miles away gets a foot when someone sneezes. 

Only holding out hope bc we have seen where changeovers don’t happen as modeled. 2/25/07 was supposed to switch over,  2/10/10 even was supposed to. Obviously much different set ups, airmasses and times of year, but predicting 850 and 925 marches can be tricky. 

That said, anything white on the ground Thursday morning inside the beltway would be a win. 

PHL recorded .3 inches of snow last year FWIW

• Sad 1

GFS is a degree warmer everywhere through 42-48. 

EDIT to say it's really hard to buy the GFS. 850's are cold as modeled (colder than some of the other models), but the surface is just a torch for many in the metros. Not really how any other models are showing the evolution. Weaker QPF might be the cause for the warmer scheme overall. 

I know everyone is analyzing a stronger CAD with each model cycle, but it really is not going to matter. This is not a true arctic airmass and the cold air being dammed in is marginal at best. Source is not deep. Hence we hold on to the front end thump then the shallow cold rapidly erodes. This is why we are seeing such fast changeovers today. Upper level low also not closed and is weakening as it approaches our latitude. That isn’t favorable for the column either. It’s a tough storm for our area outside the favored zones, even some of these areas north of I-70 into southern PA unfortunately will change to sleet for a while. December modified cold airmass not ideal. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Track of the surface low also not necessarily the most important factor. Classic snow events for the Mid Atlantic need a strengthening upper low closing off , deepening coming near or just south of our area. This is a progressive vigorous punch and not much phasing for our area, best dynamics go north in the CCB. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, ers-wxman1 said:

Track of the surface low also not necessarily the most important factor. Classic snow events for the Mid Atlantic need a strengthening upper low closing off , deepening coming near or just south of our area. This is a progressive vigorous punch and not much phasing for our area, best dynamics go north in the CCB. 

What is your predicted total snowfall for Frederick?

6 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

NE MD is gonna loooove this run though.

1608206400-aobT7LmBe6Q.png

I know DC hates this (and I truly feel ya), but if that were to verify, the HoCo crew I’m sure would be more than happy. Will it? Who the hell knows, but I’ll believe it more if the Euro backs it. 

Well that was not a good model run to sleep on! DANGIT!!!!!!!

So many things did not go our way! The KEY TELLTALE should have been that we were in the jackpot too early! So many times things shift north.. and we need that cushion. The 50/50 and the high location as well as the cold air source were just all bad.. including low placement! 

I do hope many get pummeled ! We know where that is!

1 minute ago, Jebman said:

I dont mean to be an overexcited snow weenie here, but I just read that Prince William County in Virginia is under a Winter Storm Watch for MORE than 5 inches of snow!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-----HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That’ll get replaced with a heat advisory after they see the GFS

• Haha 7

• WxUSAF unpinned and locked this topic