Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 16/17 Winter Event

MN Transplant

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

The GFS is by far the lowest. It will adjust. Every other model has a qpf max of 2”+. There will be 20” totals from this storm it just won’t be over us.  The Max is likely up in PA. That’s our problem...not qpf. 

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

CMC is wetter than the GFS. 1.3 out here for the event. A foot is still on the table for the 81 corridor.

I agree. I feel like QPF will not be a factor this go around. Still see the 1.5"+ up and down shen valley.

My wag is that the lp placement is too tucked with some of these latest runs. The speed of the system seems to be increasing each model run. I think best case for dc -- 20 miles west, will be the low placement staying a little further east and cold air hanging as long as possible. My initial call from 4 days ago still stands 2-6 dc area, Leesburg 6-12, Winchester to the mountains 12+. Hard to beat climo around here.

5 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

To my untrained eye the track of the low on the UKMET looks better. But as @MillvilleWx mentioned last night, might as well be shaking a magic eight ball.

GZ_D5_PN_060_0000.gif

0DQuC7i.gif

Looks like the low is at the bench mark in panel one and moves NNE while deepening.  If that happened verbatim and i get heavy rain, congrats Mother Nature lol.

1 hour ago, midatlanticweather said:

So.. What should we be looking for to see it trend better? 

Better 50/50? 

Closes off 850 sooner? 

Further south track? 

All the above? 

This thing is bleeding westward at an alarming rate since yesterday. We have had some glimpses of hope in an otherwise telltale sign. 

By this time tomorrow the low will be over Columbus Ohio and we’ll be tracking potential severe weather. Maybe we can get a tornado watch? 

• Weenie 1

3 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Naw when things are going sideways you hug whatever you can. 

It ain't even that great, but I'll elect to hug. And maybe travel to Charlottesville. 

sn10_acc.us_ma.png

Not gonna lie, kinda like this run because it sorta screws NYC. I expect Boston to do better than us but NYC getting 2' and me getting zero rubs me the wrong way.

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

Naw when things are going sideways you hug whatever you can. 

There will come a time where we all have to come terms with reality (probably around 4pm Wednesday when rain and the occasional pinger and mangled flake are falling).  But until then if a 2nd rate model gives me hope I’ll ride with it lol

I know when I start switching my expectation from rooting to snow to rooting for sleet, things aren't looking good. I was hoping this would be like the feb '14 miller A(?) storm that gave me 5-7" ish inside the beltway (plus rain/sleet mix) while NW areas got 12"+.... but last 24 hours of trends have me thinking that's an unlikely scenario. 

But such is climo where I am :-D

• WxUSAF unpinned and locked this topic