Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Active mid December with multiple event potential

Typhoon Tip

2 minutes ago, IowaStorm05 said:

That’s cool, I’ve also done moves based on snowfall like that, I had the family move to high foothills in Reno JUST BECAUSE 5000 feet elevation gets way way more snow than, say, East Sparks at 4400. Rain shadow and temps 

What was the highest hill in Des Moines you lived on?

4 minutes ago, IowaStorm05 said:

That’s cool, I’ve also done moves based on snowfall like that, I had the family move to high foothills in Reno JUST BECAUSE 5000 feet elevation gets way way more snow than, say, East Sparks at 4400. Rain shadow and temps 

Yeah I forget sometimes how high it is out there. Some places in New Mexico get a ton of snow.

29 minutes ago, IowaStorm05 said:

Better on the west slope but ya.... love Tahoe and Reno... so much snow

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

What was the highest hill in Des Moines you lived on?

Des Moines is tough to describe. It’s overall flattish but in reality it’s long undulating slight down and up, like you might go from 800 feet to 900 feet over a mile of distance and back again. Des Moines Is at about 850-900 feet average elevation if I recall, and there is Sherman Hill, which is the highest near downtown. It might be 150 feet higher than the surrounding area. 

western Iowa is in the lower extent and easternmost extent of the true Great Plains and is as much as 1600 feet in the northwest corner, and is 1/4 drier than southeastern Iowa, which is maybe 500 feet and greener/wetter and is not considered Great Plains so much

• Like 1