Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Active mid December with multiple event potential

Typhoon Tip

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Stark is north of phineas and alex. That’s getting up near Lancaster and Colebrook. 

Way past lancaster, it literally is out in the middle of no where...but there is a gorgeous pond in Stark that is amazing to swim in, in the summer, and not very crowded because it is such a drive from everything 

• Like 1

Just now, IowaStorm05 said:

Because yea it is snowing but I saw convective looking blobs and holes in precip approaching NYC on radar, lifting north 

Yeah, it's not looking like it will be a classic uniform precip shield. That's what we are expecting. If it was just like the heavy bands but all the time, you'd end up with 3 feet.

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

It’s true in this case. Terrain tends to be most important when midlevel forcing is weak. Events where you just see a steady firehose of moisture. 

Terrain can enhance or reduce intensity but they don’t cause midlevel death bands. 

I feel like it can be a security blanket though.  Even if mid-level subsidence arises, you at least can maintain on low level lift but maybe that's more true for the NNE mountains.  But yeah, the jackpots don't have to be the higher terrain in a system with strong mid-levels... the valleys are fair game. 

I just think of a spot like the Catskills that may jack with mid-levels and orographics... 4,000ft is 4,000ft.  That's a lot of prominence from the Hudson Valley on ENE flow to begin with.  That Eastern Catskill zone can rack up some ridiculous totals.

8 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I feel like it can be a security blanket though.  Even if mid-level subsidence arises, you at least can maintain on low level lift but maybe that's more true for the NNE mountains.  But yeah, the jackpots don't have to be the higher terrain in a system with strong mid-levels... the valleys are fair game. 

I just think of a spot like the Catskills that may jack with mid-levels and orographics... 4,000ft is 4,000ft.  That's a lot of prominence from the Hudson Valley on ENE flow to begin with.  That Eastern Catskill zone can rack up some ridiculous totals.

In the past I thought only massive mountains could do that sort of thing, IE Sierra Nevada. But no even 200-300 hills can make a difference.

3 minutes ago, JC-CT said:

@Damage In Tolland literally went and found the highest hill he could find in his general area and bought a house on it

That’s cool, I’ve also done moves based on snowfall like that, I had the family move to high foothills in Reno JUST BECAUSE 5000 feet elevation gets way way more snow than, say, East Sparks at 4400. Rain shadow and temps 

• Like 1