Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Active mid December with multiple event potential

Typhoon Tip

Just now, mattm4242 said:

Was that the firehose storm? He refused to entertain the idea, said the airmass wasn’t nearly good enough for a big storm.

The rates were insane with that thing.

That's the one. That storm also featured the worst static subsidence I've ever seen in Rhode Island. Some spots got almost nothing while a few miles away they were measuring in feet.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, It's Always Sunny said:

I thought Harvey retired?

He's been a snow weenie his entire life.  He grew up in the Bronx and we used to discuss the same storm we grew up enjoying.  

He doesn't need to get up early-works late which would have been great for me.  He loves this too much!  No many of us can get the job we've wanted since we were young kids and carry it over for a lifetime.  Harvey is maybe 1-2 years younger than me.  I remember being here (traveling from LA) about a month after the blizzard of 78.   My weenie friend, also in the same profession and I called him at the station.  The funny thing is he was early career then and was jealous of us having a sure bet career.  Great guy, incredible met-really respect the guy a lot.  

• Like 7

1 minute ago, weathafella said:

He's been a snow weenie his entire life.  He doesn't need to get up early-works late which would have been great for me.  He loves this too much!  No many of us can get the job we've wanted since we were young kids and carry it over for a lifetime.  Harvey is maybe 1-2 years younger than me.  I remember being here (traveling from LA) about a month after the blizzard of 78.   My weenie friend, also in the same profession and I called him at the station.  The funny thing is he was early career then and was jealous of us having a sure bet career.  Great guy, incredible met-really respect the guy a lot.  

Yeah when I was living up there he was my go-to along with Lemanowitz on Fox. So is he back on TV now or he never left? 

6 minutes ago, weathafella said:

He's been a snow weenie his entire life.  He grew up in the Bronx and we used to discuss the same storm we grew up enjoying.  

He doesn't need to get up early-works late which would have been great for me.  He loves this too much!  No many of us can get the job we've wanted since we were young kids and carry it over for a lifetime.  Harvey is maybe 1-2 years younger than me.  I remember being here (traveling from LA) about a month after the blizzard of 78.   My weenie friend, also in the same profession and I called him at the station.  The funny thing is he was early career then and was jealous of us having a sure bet career.  Great guy, incredible met-really respect the guy a lot.  

Leonard is credited as the first meteorologist to correctly predict the impact and intensity of the Blizzard of 1978.  He saw the potential 4 days before the event, and didn't have the advantage of the models we have today.  When he went in early to the station ahead of the storm, he told his wife she probably wouldn't see him for some time.  He was right. He was stuck at the station for the week.  Great met.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 78Blizzard said:

Leonard is credited as the first meteorologist to correctly predict the impact and intensity of the Blizzard of 1978.  He saw the potential 4 days before the event, and didn't have the advantage of the models we have today.  When he went in early to the station ahead of the storm, he told his wife she probably wouldn't see him for some time.  He was right. He was stuck at the station for the week.  Great met.

He never retired.  The only break he had was when he want from channel 7 to channel 5 about 10-15 years ago.  He wanted to team up with Dick Albert-they were good friends.  Dick Albert unfortunately died about 5 years ago.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, weathafella said:

He never retired.  The only break he had was when he want from channel 7 to channel 5 about 10-15 years ago.  He wanted to team up with Dick Albert-they were good friends.  Dick Albert unfortunately died about 5 years ago.

That likely had some consideration to 7 ultimately losing NBC affiliation at some point too, I would guess

8 minutes ago, 78Blizzard said:

Yeah that was his first coup...he’d only been on the job less than a year and then he was the boldest for the ‘78 blizzard forecast....he was right and then the rest is history. 

I hardly ever missed a forecast from him in the winter when I was in elementary school in the late 1980s and early 1990s. 

• Like 3