Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Active mid December with multiple event potential

Typhoon Tip

3 minutes ago, JC-CT said:

I'm not seeing anything on any model indicating widespread amounts higher than maybe 15" for the most aggressive runs

Agree, certainly not calling for #1 all time at BOS (at the time) but that was another weak ass lp with a big high to the north.  I know the setups aren't precisely the same, but saying totals are limited to 8-12" just because it's high 990s instead of mid 980s raised an eyebrow for me. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, dryslot said:

I've been curious to know what NWS model blends are used and how there weighted on Pivotal.

image.thumb.png.26ea7c55ae6447abc5f327afa54a2aa1.png

Pivotal doesn't do any weighting. Snowfall is readily available by the NBM itself. I wrote about it a while ago, but the NBM's (which is an ensemble) details can be viewed here: 

https://www.meted.ucar.edu/winter/nbm32winter/ > You'll need to register first though.

At this range, I'd recommend using it. It begins losing its advantages as the event begins to develop and a consensus becomes strong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

3 minutes ago, MegaMike said:

Pivotal doesn't do any weighting. Snowfall is readily available by the NBM itself. I wrote about it a while ago, but the NBM's (which is an ensemble) details can be viewed here: 

https://www.meted.ucar.edu/winter/nbm32winter/ > You'll need to register first though.

At this range, I'd recommend using it. It begins losing its advantages as the event begins to develop and a consensus becomes strong.

Thank you.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wizard021 said:

I have watched HRRR change snow / rain lines within the storm timeframe. Why  are we using it 36 hours out?  

Please stop embarrassing the NYC thread in here. No reason to be in here unless you are browsing/skimming events happening in the NE region. Just my 2 cents. Best of luck to the NE crew hopefully we all cash in.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Sick of seeing this ...gotta comment on it - want it out there before whatever this thing scores, in case it doesn't for a some scorned winter lovers -

That notching in the QPF/ .. related snow products? 

Don't ignore that -

It's real in this situation.  Folks are discussing the 'hygroscopic theft' of undercutting 10 F DPs underneath ... well-enough .. but, taking all these Kutchera this, and model-centric snow product that, and blending them, clearly shows a barrier jet axial dry tongue eroding into this this...and I know why - it is because the snow genesis is high up in this scenario, and that is affording a lot of evaporation in that barrier axis, ...where the restorative interior jet is organized from interior D.E. Maine and points to the Worcester Hills -... 

The Boxing Day storm was a latter correction and we didn't really have time to steep in this fore-shadowing of that event, but there was a clear notching phenomenon that really was guite similar to this back then, that I personally did not take into consideration and dismissed it as noise.. Well, we didn't do so well in that system, despite any notoriety - ... We ended up with 4 or 5" of arctic grits ... drifted against opposing curb slants and finned around tree trunks and tires of cars, with not much on exposed ground from that, where 20 to 24 " jackpotted S of here... and N. Middlesex was targeted by the barrier jet dry air hose in that event ... this looks similar to me.. . Don't be surprised if there is a hygroscopic shadowing in a dearth band here in the interior up through S NH..

This sort of/said notching like below began showing up two days ago and it's been a persistently recurring illustration since...

boned2.jpg

this is exactly why I am afraid to get excited about this event