Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Active mid December with multiple event potential

Typhoon Tip

1 minute ago, PowderBeard said:

Thanks, the cutter idea is what I meant by "in" but yes north enough to mix/rain along the coastal areas for a time is 100% possible/likely. The suppression idea is locked in my head and keeping me most skeptical but I can see what you mean.

There’s definitely a limit. The blocking and associated 50/50 low is felt very strongly. 

But that main shortwave is going negative fairly far west and it gains some latitude out there too. That’s why I’ve been saying I’d want to be north of Philly...they might be ok there but we’ve seen some runs like the 00z euro which cause ptype issues we’ll into NJ.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

This thing’s outta here Thursday afternoon. Maybe some flurries still linger Thursday evening in SE MA but that’s it. It’s a nuke but t doesn’t hang around. For 36 hours like Jan 2015. 

The old “talk it into existence” it’s basically a 12 hour event save for light snows on either side 

• Haha 1

Just now, JC-CT said:

I'm no expert at reading these things but this actually looks pretty darn good, no?

gfs_2020121212_fh54_sounding_41.74N_72.25W.png

That’s a very good sounding. Classic cross-hair sig. You’d overcome a borderline boundary layer pretty quickly on Monday if that happened. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

There’s definitely a limit. The blocking and associated 50/50 low is felt very strongly. 

But that main shortwave is going negative fairly far west and it gains some latitude out there too. That’s why I’ve been saying I’d want to be north of Philly...they might be ok there but we’ve seen some runs like the 00z euro which cause ptype issues we’ll into NJ.

Thanks. Makes sense. I think the skepticism is coming from a place of "weenie" and not science because of previous forecast burns (maybe Feb/March 2017?) when we had systems coming in starting with temps in the mid-20s. Crap snow growth for the duration and a few inches of sand when big numbers were forecasted. 

• Like 1

The Monday storm is a good example of the difference between a nuanced thread-the-needle setup and what is being modeled for Wednesday night/Thursday. 

You have excellent model agreement 5 days out on the latter threat while you have models all over the map from a 4-6” event to nothing at all on a 54 hour forecast for Monday. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

The Monday storm is a good example of the difference between a nuanced thread-the-needle setup and what is being modeled for Wednesday night/Thursday. 

You have excellent model agreement 5 days out on the latter threat while you have models all over the map from a 4-6” event to nothing at all on a 54 hour forecast for Monday. 

We’ve been hanging our  hats on thread the needle events for a while. Wed/Thu is a nice change of pace. 

• Like 1

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

A model fantasy, she is not.

Screenshot_20201212-112845_Chrome.jpg

3 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Notice how it kind of hugs the coast down south and gets warmer midlevel air into NJ but then runs into a bit of a brick wall and moves ENE. 

Youre probably going to get a hellacious fronto band near on the northern side of that. 

These are the changes that you, scooter and I have been anticipating,  and why the 20-30" in PA and NJ is BS. Also why this may be very high impact for some of NE.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

1 minute ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Nice hit on the CMC... subdued compared to the gfs... but still a nice 8-12” snowfall across the area.

And for the “days and days” crowd... the storm has cleared the entire area by early Thursday evening.... everyone is probably done snowing by 4-5 pm

Odd.  Usually the CMC invents extra qpf.