• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Major Nor'easter snow storm (possible top 20) Noon Wednesday-Noon Thursday Dec 16-17, 2020

wdrag

1 hour ago, jm1220 said:

Upton's point and click-lol. Maybe an inch at Captree-a 30 minute drive from me and about 15 miles away. Here, "most likely" snow is at 11" and point/click has 8-14". Long Beach "most likely" is 3" and JFK 10 miles away 11". Wonder why NW Suffolk wasn't included in the warning then? 

My guess for my backyard is still 6-7" of snow and gunk. Hopefully I'm being conservative. I can see it being a few inches if these awful NAM runs are right, or if it's a miracle like this Euro run seems to be, could be 12". 

NW Suffolk seems to always jackpot on Long Island..I am expecting 3-6” here in holbrook

27 minutes ago, HVSnowLover said:

It’s extreme, has it ever been that drastic before? 

I've lived in both areas and it happens very often.  The extreme north shore has elevations approaching 200 feet and that's where you see the enhanced snowfalls.  South shore, especially this time of the year, has warm ocean waters making a mess of things.

43 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The whole pattern is mismatched. Record early month +PNA spike for moderate La Niña. Sudden appearance of blocking over the North Pole in the short term. +AAM and record warm +PMM NP SSTs with a moderate La Niña. Record Arctic warmth and low sea ice. So this storm looks like a microcosm of all the competing influences. The old analogs just don’t work for this new climate.

after this is over we'll probably find an analog storm for it...the problem is it hasn't happened yet...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cheticus said:

I've lived in both areas and it happens very often.  The extreme north shore has elevations approaching 200 feet and that's where you see the enhanced snowfalls.  South shore, especially this time of the year, has warm ocean waters making a mess of things.

Monmouth county is like that; it has some fairly elevated areas just in from the coast; they often get better amounts when the coast is cold enough.

No.  1/7/94 there were some places on the very far north shore that got like 5 inches of snow while the south shore was FZRA all day but that’s closest example I know  

Yes. 

Live in West Islip, south shore... In Commack, 5-8 miles north, they received 12" of snow @ 32f while it was all rain by me@ 34f...

It did eventually change over and we got about 20" of snow... Commack through Centereach got 32"+...

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Nam has sleet into NYC after a heavy thump.

The low is well southeast of 18z

The high-res'es like to jump around the low signature. Precip field looks similar to 18z, though definitely a smidge south which could really help the city.