• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Major Nor'easter snow storm (possible top 20) Noon Wednesday-Noon Thursday Dec 16-17, 2020

wdrag

4 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The usual flood prone spots like Freeport could approach low end major flooding. Especially if the low tucks in and slowly crawls east early Thursday. Also looks like coastal sections may approach HWW criteria.

http://hudson.dl.stevens-tech.edu/sfas/

E491D0FC-557B-496A-968E-4CBDB1E1B55D.png.78d53c9c582735a2b43e543238cc6ff5.png

Tough for upton do you go HWW or blizzard warning because it still is gonna snow 

Just now, jm1220 said:

For it to be a blizzard you need the conditions for 3 consecutive hours. Probably won’t happen since the most intense winds might correlate with the dryslot or mixing. 

The euro and ukie have a long duration wind event 9pm-6am but yeah I guess we shall see

1 minute ago, JoshSnow said:

It’s still going to snow and it’s going to be probably the biggest snowstorm of the year. Maybe we won’t get the 24 inch snows we wanted but a foot looks likely for the city!

I’d say the odds of a foot in Central Park are under 30%. If I had to say a number there I’d say 7” of snow and junk mixed. 

Tough for upton do you go HWW or blizzard warning because it still is gonna snow 

For winter weather headlines, the winds typically get grouped into the WSW. You wouldn't issue a HWW on top of a WSW, similarly wouldn't issue a Wind Advisory on top of a WWA. In our bulleted current text products, an extra bullet for additional details might be included that mentions the 45-60 mph wind gust potential. The one location it's probably tricky is out east on Long Island where changeover should occur quicker and amounts might not reach warning criteria but the winds do. My guess is because the snow/mix would be impactful enough plus the damaging winds, might do a WSW for simplicity. Not speaking for OKX though, just speculating based on how my office and surrounding offices typically handle multi faceted winter events.  

• Like 5

Just now, RCNYILWX said:

For winter weather headlines, the winds get grouped into the WSW. You wouldn't issue a HWW on top of a WSW, similarly wouldn't issue a Wind Advisory on top of a WWA. In our bulleted current text products, an extra bullet for additional details might be included that mentions the 45-60 mph wind gust potential. The one location it's probably tricky is out east on Long Island where changeover should occur quicker and amounts might not reach warning criteria but the winds do. My guess is because the snow/mix would be impactful enough plus the damaging winds, might do a WSW for simplicity. Not speaking for OKX though, just speculating on how my office and surrounding offices typically handle multi faceted winter events.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Awesome thanks! The winds have been the most consistent part of this storm lol... models havent wavered on a pretty impressive wind event jersey shore up to nyc east 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, David-LI said:

Really hoping the HRRR is out of its ideal range but it has us dry slotting and showing us the finger rather early

This will be the first winter storm for the big HRRR upgrade a few weeks ago. It will be interesting to see if further development down the line replaces the NAM. Heard a while back that the NAM may be discontinued next few years 

https://www.weather.gov/media/notification/pdf2/scn20-46rapv5_hrrr_v4aab.pdf

19 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The usual flood prone spots like Freeport could approach low end major flooding. Especially if the low tucks in and slowly crawls east early Thursday. Also looks like coastal sections may approach HWW criteria.

http://hudson.dl.stevens-tech.edu/sfas/

E491D0FC-557B-496A-968E-4CBDB1E1B55D.png.78d53c9c582735a2b43e543238cc6ff5.png

Saw tidal flooding this morning along Brookville Blvd in Queens. Was about a foot of water on the roadway with the lunar high tide. Can imagine that would be impassable if the storm does what it’s supposed to do.