• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Major Nor'easter snow storm (possible top 20) Noon Wednesday-Noon Thursday Dec 16-17, 2020

wdrag

3 minutes ago, psv88 said:

It improved alot, and gave us extra 15 miles of breathing room so stay in the good stuff...

I think it’s the confluence asserting itself on these models today and causing the better SE trend. It really means business on this Euro run and we see the cutting off to the north. This will try to hug the coast and then run into a wall. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, allgame830 said:

Yea I was just about to say that.  EURO is still far better then the GFS... all that is doing here is meeting in the middle!

The euro and ukmet were giving Albany and north of the pike 12+! It’s the Gfs that saw the tight gradient to the north with the block. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

The euro and ukmet were giving Albany and north of the pike 12+! It’s the Gfs that saw the tight gradient to the north with the block. 

A lot of our New England neighbors were quick to dismiss the Gfs, which is fair given it was an outlier but it clearly hammered in the blocking/confluence idea. 

• Like 1

Moved to LI (NW Nassau) from DC area 18 months ago, hoping I’d get a bit more snow. Last year wasn’t great! Fingers crossed for this. One thing that’s interesting to me is that down there I would have seen a 20 mi difference as more or less unpredictable, but everything clearly shows quite a diff between North Shore and South Shore on LI that I suppose is relatively common?

1 minute ago, allgame830 said:

Yea I was just about to say that.  EURO is still far better then the GFS... all that is doing here is meeting in the middle!

Yes. Euro/cmc have been giving I84 around a foot for days

1 minute ago, Allsnow said:

Wrong, the Ukie has been on crack just like the GFS. The Euro/CMC blend has given the I84 guys 12-14 inches consistently for the past 2 days and the GFS has been giving 1 or 2 inches and just corrected this morning a little. It's been horrible with this. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cerinthe Major said:

Moved to LI (NW Nassau) from DC area 18 months ago, hoping I’d get a bit more snow. Last year wasn’t great! Fingers crossed for this. One thing that’s interesting to me is that down there I would have seen a 20 mi difference as more or less unpredictable, but everything clearly shows quite a diff between North Shore and South Shore on LI that I suppose is relatively common?

Yes-I’d say the snow average where I used to live in Long Beach is something like 25” per winter vs where I am now where it’s over 30”. The North Shore particularly elevated areas out to around Stony Brook would be the best region of LI for snow. Marginal situations typically buy us a couple of degrees for wet snow vs rain elsewhere. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wizard021 said:

Storm is losing intensity each run and more strung out by 12z Thursday.  Looking like 6 to 12 area wide. Qpf only 1.3 yesterday was over 2.

pdii had a min pressure of like 1010mb.  this is about gradient with the high, and thermal overrunning, both of which should produce a storm more intense than the minimum pressure may suggest.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, e46and2 said:

pdii had a min pressure of like 1010mb.  this is about gradient with the high, and thermal overrunning, both of which should produce a storm more intense than the minimum pressure may suggest.

Exactly. You don’t need a strong storm  with the amount of moisture this storm will tap into.  Having a massive high to the north will generate strong winds even without a very deep surface low 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wizard021 said:

Storm is losing intensity each run and more strung out by 12z Thursday.  Looking like 6 to 12 area wide. Qpf only 1.3 yesterday was over 2.

the 2 inch amts were over done.   You don't need a big bomb to get 12 inches of snow-PD storm in 2003 was actually weak and many got 18 inches

• Like 2

Just now, Neblizzard said:

Exactly. You don’t need a strong surface system with the amount of moisture this storm will tap into.  Having a massive high to the north will generate strong winds even without a very deep surface low 

and correct me if I am wrong (and I may be hilariously wrong), but the low would also be hitting a warm ocean early in the winter season, which should only help with tapping moisture to fling into the cold dome. 

• Like 1

Knock on wood but anyone getting 6"+ amounts will have a white Christmas this year.

The grinch storm is gone, we still have blocking in place, and things actually get kinda favorable for more snow last week of December if the GEFS is correct. 

Models are also raising the heights around Alaska, which would help a lot with the cold supply. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3