• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Major Nor'easter snow storm (possible top 20) Noon Wednesday-Noon Thursday Dec 16-17, 2020

wdrag

5 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Looking more and more likely we can start locking in 12”+ for the metro. As always with these big systems someone will sit under banding and approach 2’. I’m still hesitant for the south shore. Could easily get on the wrong side of the coastal front at some point

South shore may get less snow because of warmer BL, not necessarily mixing, north of Southern may see better ratios

11 minutes ago, Rjay said:

P1_GZ_D5_PN_060_0000 (18).gif

P1_GZ_D5_PN_072_0000 (17).gif

WOW...  25mm light orange is 1" melted in 12 hrs.  still big. my experience, often the big qpf has sleet and rain.  In this case... i dont have much to look at but I'm wary of ALL snow in 1.5" qpf unless clearly the soundings support.  You all are on top of this.  Hang on... even if we don't get top 20 snow, some folks on LI and NJ are probably going to wish it was powder.  It just looks a little dangerous to me with sleet slashing through the air on gusty winds or wet snow pasting on the NJ coast and parts of LI.  6" 32-33F wet snow is my threshold for widespread power outages.  It first begins with 4" wet snow.  Talk after 4p. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wdrag said:

I think everyone up to I80 will mix but this is yet to be determined. It's going to be a mess I95 in Nj and LI after the initial thump. Maybe UVV will overcome but whenever, the dry slot arrives, then I think thereafter we look at sleet and small flake snow...if indeed the dry slot arrives with maybe a chance of a little bigger flakes on the swan song Thursday sunrise or after. Again, this presumes a sNJ coast hugger overnight Wednesday before shifting eastward. Let's see the EC, and really some more model cycles.   Future NAM has to backdown too if we go with the CMC/RGEM/GFS.  Plenty of unknowns. Patience    

I'm guessing you mean clean up would be difficult if a mix happened after a big thump; but may not as much if its sleet. It would be rain that would make the stuff tough to deal with. And our ER's are already stressed. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wdrag said:

WOW...  25mm light orange is 1" melted in 12 hrs.  still big. my experience, often the big qpf has sleet and rain.  In this case... i dont have much to look at but I'm wary of ALL snow in 1.5" qpf unless clearly the soundings support.  You all are on top of this.  Hang on... even if we don't get top 20 snow, some folks on LI and NJ are probably going to wish it was powder.  It just looks a little dangerous to me with sleet slashing through the air on gusty winds or wet snow pasting on the NJ coast and parts of LI.  6" 32-33F wet snow is my threshold for widespread power outages.  It first begins with 4" wet snow.  Talk after 4p. 

This would be my concern. I'm moving the generator into position. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

That was because the surface was too warm.  That storm didn't have much sleet

Now that I remember, you are correct. It was awhile ago. The rates weren't enough to overcome the warm surfaces here, they had better rates elsewhere. I think it was the March 2017 storm where they got much more north and west while we got a lot of sleet.

2 minutes ago, weatherbear5 said:

It ain’t lack of precip. 1.5-2.0+ inches liquid from Tappan Zee East.

Some kinda sneaky warm layer

Impossible to really say without surface temp charts and the 700/850 low tracks. The surface low tracks pretty close to best case scenario IMO for heavy snow but maybe the 700/850 lows are a lot further NW. 

• Like 1