• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Major Nor'easter snow storm (possible top 20) Noon Wednesday-Noon Thursday Dec 16-17, 2020

wdrag

Just now, HeadInTheClouds said:

We will see. I don't deny the blocking. I have always been concerned about being north of 84. I just don't think it will be due north and then due east with out some northerly component. 

We learned the really hard way on 2/6/10 how hard east the turn can be in confluence. At some point that will come, could be when this cuts into NJ and you’ll bonanza when I rain, or it’ll be like the GFS now says. I think that happens somewhere though, unless the confluence weakens. It’s a really potent trough and shortwave which means this will try to cut and may try to head almost due north, but there will be the brick confluence wall somewhere. 

2 minutes ago, HeadInTheClouds said:

We will see. I don't deny the blocking. I have always been concerned about it being north of 84. I just don't think it will be due north and then due east with out some northerly component. 

Happened a lot in 09-10 but in general while these storms favor the coast it's rare for these big storms to completely whiff north of I84.  

1 minute ago, jm1220 said:

We learned the really hard way on 2/6/10 how hard east the turn can be in confluence. At some point that will come, could be when this cuts into NJ and you’ll bonanza when I rain, or it’ll be like the GFS now says. I think that happens somewhere though, unless the confluence weakens. It’s a really potent trough and shortwave which means this will try to cut and may try to head almost due north, but there will be the brick confluence wall somewhere. 

Yep even the 18Z GFS had the sharp turn east, it just took the low way further north into NJ before making the turn. 

• Like 1

Just now, HVSnowLover said:

Happened a lot in 09-10 but in general while these storms favor the coast it's rare for these big storms to completely whiff north of I84.  

Hopefully this somehow can crush the entire sub forum, even the more suppressed runs do spread snow pretty far north. But a system like this will have a nasty cutoff somewhere-Albany area, I-84, somewhere. Confluence means dry air and sharp cutoff. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

At least that one turned ese around VA Beach.