• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Wintry events possible I84 corridor down to near I80 next week (14th-18th)

wdrag

1 minute ago, forkyfork said:

it relaxed the confluence a little. a few more runs and we should be golden for a nice soaking rain

I just think its more likely this thing goes out than cuts.  Even if it did "cut" there would probably be some sort of big snows on the front end, even to the coast because it won't be an amped/phased type system if it trends more in that direction.  Right now I feel Monday is way more likely to go NW than out and vice versa for Wednesday.

Just now, jets said:

Since when is ICON. Good luck on the soaking rain forecast. This isn’t last year

The ICON often times does well at day 3-5 and sucks inside of that range.  Its really strange but it has sniffed out trends or storms before when other models did not seem them.  It might just be confirmation bias but the MA forum has mentioned the same thing

Have seen 12z GEFS... same as 06z..half a foot+ southern CT to nw NJ...  also develops the 850 low a little sooner and a tad further south restricting the nrn extent of qpf to just n of I90.  Long ways to go... wont have it studied up til 330P and then will definitely separate this thread to the weak low risk northern fringe snow on Monday and good sized snow event for a portion of our forum.  Later... Walt

• Thanks 3

Dec 13-14th 1966 had a storm with wet snow and rain...no accumulations near the coast but some inland...it came at the ao's lowest point of that winter...-4sd...the nao was slightly neg but rebounded to positive where it was most of the time...I thought 66-67 was a good analog for this year...one can only hope this winter is half as good as that winter was...

I know this sounds ridiculous (because it is) but over the years I've noticed a few things.  First, in the good winters it "just wants to snow."  This week's system was a good example.  In "bad years" this would have been a nonevent.  This year it snowed all day and put down a nice coating.  Maybe this is a good omen for next week, right up there with my observation that the best storms get the snow going quicker than anticipated...and the unforeseen delay in the start often spells doom.

2 minutes ago, wxman said:

I know this sounds ridiculous (because it is) but over the years I've noticed a few things.  First, in the good winters it "just wants to snow."  This week's system was a good example.  In "bad years" this would have been a nonevent.  This year it snowed all day and put down a nice coating.  Maybe this is a good omen for next week, right up there with my observation that the best storms get the snow going quicker than anticipated...and the unforeseen delay in the start often spells doom.

Same thing winter 2010-11-every event found a way to overperform during that epic pattern

2 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

Same thing winter 2010-11-every event found a way to overperform during that epic pattern

It helps when you have a strong blocking pattern in place (pacific or atlantic).

Blocking patterns give every shortwave an opportunity to overperform and turn into at least a minor event, there's generally a cold air supply around, and you have more wiggle room even when the setup isn't ideal.  

Blocking patterns can also last several weeks to months.