• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Wintry events possible I84 corridor down to near I80 next week (14th-18th)

wdrag

Just now, snowman19 said:

This is not a SWFE setup. This is like the argument that it’s “impossible” for a low to cut over deep snowcover. If a shortwave is amped enough in the wrong spot, it will cut

I never said it was. My argument is that during SWFEs models frequently correct colder and adjust the low further south due to the strong high in front of it. 

I expect the same thing to happen here.

2 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

Wave 1 could be a sneaky snow event.

Models continue ticking north and there's a surprisingly high amount of precip with it despite it being a fast mover. 

One thing is almost for certain.  Don't expect the GFS to show squat with it til last minute.  I am sort of shocked its as far NW as it is with the system at the moment.  It'll also probably show it as an all rain event too if it does come far enough NW for precip here

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jm1220 said:

Haven’t been following this very closely yet but it wouldn’t surprise me if the second wave for Weds trended more amped due to the not great PNA. Gives the trough more room to amplify in the East and force a NW track. The blocking up north does force it to redevelop somewhere but hopefully it’s not when we’re already flooded in warm air. A primary that hangs on too long (never a problem here ;) ) also sends warm air aloft in which means a lot of sleet. Still long ways to go though. 

reminds me of a couple of storms in 07....

10 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

I never said it was. My argument is that during SWFEs models frequently correct colder and adjust the low further south due to the strong high in front of it. 

I expect the same thing to happen here.

I remember this happened in Feb 2008 and we ended up getting 6-8 inches of snow.  That can happen in February though, it's more difficult to do in December

1 hour ago, jm1220 said:

Yep, with the PNA not cooperating so well this could end up trying to run inland. Time for that to improve still though 

I see a lot of 12/5 analogs in there and a big surprise to see Boxing Day in the mix too.  The 12/5/95 storm wasn't the big one that month though but the 12/5/03 event sure was.

10 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

Just my opinion, but I think we need two separate threads for the 14th and 16th potential events.  Way too many posts in this thread where it's difficult to tell which event someone is talking about.  

Understood...  I see your point.  Plan to get this done around 5P.  Thanks. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

I see a lot of 12/5 analogs in there and a big surprise to see Boxing Day in the mix too.  The 12/5/95 storm wasn't the big one that month though but the 12/5/03 event sure was.

It doesn't remind me of any one setup.  Its sort of a hybrid of a SWFE/Miller B to an extent.  There are some similarities to 2/4/95 but the air mass in place is way better.  There was no strong high to the north in that event.

• Thanks 3